PRICHARD, Roger - I27293
This name is from the Welsh, and is a contraction of Ap Richard, son of Richard. Ap in the Welsh corresponds to Mac in the Scotch, Mc in the Irish, Von in the German, De in the French, and the ending son in the Scandinavian, all indicating "son of." Prichard was variably spelled Prichat and Pritchard in early colonial records.
I. Roger PRICHARD was born in England, perhaps Wales, and came early to this country. Exact information as to when he came, or from which locality, seems to be lacking. A clue which might afford results if followed, is the record of a seventeen year old girl named Margaret Prichard who was among the passengers on the Matthew, Richard Goodladd, Master which sailed from London 21 May 1635, for the port of Saint Christophers. She had a warrant from the Earl of Carlisle.
Descendants of Roger Prichard have claimed the coat of arms seen in the accompanying sketch. On 15 November 1640 Roger Prichard witnessed at Wethersfield, Connecticut, the will of Widow Joyce Ward.
In the allotment of lands at Springfield, Massachusetts, on 6 April 1643, he was given five acres. His name appears on the tax lists of that town in 1644, and various years thereafter. On 13 April 1648 he was made freeman at Springfield, and "meddow" land at Pecowsic and Mill River were granted to him and his son Nathaniel.
His wife, Frances, died in 1651, and he removed to Milford, Connecticut, where on 18 December 1653 he married (2) Elizabeth, widow of William Slough, and daughter of James PRUDDEN, an original settler of Guilford. He removed to New Haven, where he died 26 January 1670.
CHILDREN of Roger and Frances:
- Alice; married William BRADLEY.
- Joan; married 1 September 1647, John Lumbard, of Springfield, Massachusetts.
- Nathaniel; of Springfield in 1648. He married 4 February 1652 Hannah, daughter of George Langton. She died in 1690, and he married (2), same year, Hannah, widow of Samuel Davis, of Northampton.
CHILDREN of Roger and Elizabeth:
- Joseph, born 2 October 1654. Lived in Milford; died about 1676.
- Jacob, born 1656 in Sprinfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- Benjamin, born 31 January 1657. He married 14 November 1683, Rebecca Jones. He died 9 April 1743. Was of Milford, 1713.
For continuation of this family line please see the BRADLEY biography.
SOURCE: The Ancestry & Posterity of Joseph Smith and Emma Hale by Audentia Smith Anderson (1926)
- (Boston Transcript, 7 December 1925)
- (New England Historical and Genealogical Register 14: 354.)
- (Americana, vol. 22, no. 1.)
- (Early Connecticut Probate Records, Manwaring, 1: 38.)
- (History of Springfield, Greene, 69, 78, 96, 98, 110.)
- (Boston Transcript, 29 November 1922)
- (Massachusetts Genealogies 3: 1559; Genealogical Dictionary of New England, Savage, 3: 486.)
- (History of Waterbury, Bronson, 524; Boston Transcript, 29 November 1922.)