So shall it be with my father: he shall be
called a prince over his posterity, holding
the keys of the patriarchal priesthood over the kingdom of God on earth, even the Church
of the Latter Day Saints, and he shall sit in the general assembly of patriarchs, even in
council with the Ancient of Days when he shall sit and all the patriarchs with him and shall
enjoy his right and authority under the direction of the Ancient of Days.
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

ALLEN, Charlotte Temple[1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12]

Female 1873 - 1954  (80 years)  Submit Photo / DocumentSubmit Photo / Document

 Set As Default Person    

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name ALLEN, Charlotte Temple 
    Born 3 Nov 1873  Hyrum, Cache, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
    Gender Female 
    WAC 19 Jun 1895  LOGAN Find all individuals with events at this location 
    _TAG Reviewed on FS 
    Died 22 Mar 1954  Hyrum, Cache, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [11, 12
    Buried 26 Mar 1954  Hyrum City Cemetery, Hyrum, Cache, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Headstones Submit Headstone Photo Submit Headstone Photo 
    Person ID I44367  Joseph Smith Sr and Lucy Mack Smith
    Last Modified 19 Aug 2021 

    Family ID F23506  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family NIELSEN, David Osborn ,   b. 12 Jan 1870, Hyrum, Cache, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 27 Mar 1964, Brigham City, Box Elder, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 94 years) 
    Married 19 Jun 1895  Logan, Cache, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [13
    +1. NIELSEN, Gladys ,   b. 2 Sep 1898, Hyrum, Cache, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 13 Feb 1938, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 39 years)
    Last Modified 25 Sep 2021 
    Family ID F13457  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Photos At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.

  • Notes 
    • Born: 3 November, 1873
      Blessed: December 1873 by Ira Allen
      Married: David Osborn Nielsen 19 June 1895 by Apostle Merrill
      in the Logan Temple
      Died: 22 March 1954
      Buried: Hyrum Cemetery

      Charlotte Temple Allen, the daughter of Ira Allen and Cynthia Elizabeth Benson, was born in Hyrum, Utah on Nov, 3, 1873. She was born in a log house on Main Street. The house had three rooms all facing the street. A rock fireplace warmed the rooms and cooked the food. A big black bear skin rug lay in front of the fire place. The ceiling was low and the windows were small. Like a mother hen this small home gave comfort to a large family. There was the father and three mothers. Nine children were born in this home to two wives, who were sisters and Charlotte was the last of the nine. There was no doctor to attend the birth of the children. Ira Allen, who had studied somewhat on the subject, brought his own children into the world, with the help of his wife's sister Polley Wilson. A new frame home was built in 1875, so Charlotte did not remember the log home.

      In later years Charlotte tells her own story. She said, "My first recollections were setting on my fathers lap and bending back touching my head to the floor. One Christmas eve I remember looking at our long stove pipe that crossed the room, and wondering how Santa Clause could get through it. I often dragged a chair up behind father and stood there combing his hair with a fine comb. I remember many different evenings while mother, Auntie and the other girls knitted, sewed carpet rags, spin or quill thread, my brother Joe would read to them. The story I remember best was the story of Joseph sold into Egypt. Some evenings Joe would sit by the stove and sing. I enjoyed them and it thrills me now to think of it. Although Joe was crippled with a lump on his back, the result of an accident as a child, I always thought of him as the grandest man. He always played with us children. He would listen to our foolish pranks. When he was sad I was sad.”

      "The new house which Father built was like the old Allen homestead in Connecticut. It had 6 rooms on the main floor and four rooms upstairs and a full basement. In the basement we had a fruit room with its large apple bin, the milk room with a flat rock where we kept our butter, the potato room, and in the other room we had barrels of molasses and, later on, cans and cans of honey.”

      Lottie, as she liked to be called, was a spirited child who loved to do things. Her spirits were toned down somewhat in her very early childhood. She remembered being spanked very hard but didn't know why she was spanked. Perhaps it was because she asked some men who were chatting around the pump for a piece of candy. Anyway she learned her place and in future times when her spirits were aroused she would run to the big lot and climb an apple tree or “skin the cat” on the lower branches so many times that she became tired and her spirits were relieved. The big lot was another lot which was on the south east corner of the block and could be reached by going to the back of the lot on which the house stood. In the early days when the city was laid out, a man who had two wives received two lots and this big lot was the other lot which the family owned.

      Lottie’s younger sister Lucy grew faster than she did and so the two girls were always dressed alike, and always played together and went in the same crowd. Lottie continues, "Father was a first class gardener and I remember pulling weeds from around the little onion and carrot plants. We raised strawberries, English currents, goose berries, and raspberries. We also had apple and plum trees. I especially liked to climb the trees. I guess there wasn't a tree on Main Street that I didn't climb or have a play-house in. We had a yard where we kept bees, In May and June when the bees started to swarm we had all kinds of fun pounding tin cans, ringing bells, and pounding crow-bars that were fastened to the trees, all to keep the bees from flying away.”

      “I used to go out on the hillside and herd sheep with my brother Jim. In the spring when the sheep were to be sheared the men would build a platform in the corral. They would lift the sheep on the platform, tie it down then hire old lady Halversen to shear it for them, while they stood around waiting to turn it over. We raised squash and I cut hundreds of them up for the cows to eat."

      "The red letter days in my life were when father would take us to the canyon. We would get up at daylight and run to get yellow apples to take with us. Going up the canyon I was frightened by the river and would crawl in under the wagon seat. But when we got there I was thrilled with the canyon. The boys caught mountain trout and killed chicken and we feasted. It was wonderful how good food tasted up there. We spent the day wading in the river, picking berries and listening to Joe. He was always with us and was the fisherman and kept us happy with his keen sense of humor."

      "The Indians used to come through Hyrum in droves a block long. They had the poles for the wic-i-ups tied to each side of the horse, letting the ends drag, then they had their blankets piled on them. They would go into houses and beg. One time 13 Indians came down from a hunting party, seven came into the house and three stood at each window on the outside looking in with their hands up to the sides of their faces, Their faces, arms and hands were painted, feathers in their hair and a bright blanket wrapped around themselves. Mother gave sugar, flour, and bread and they left. In later years Lucy and I delighted in feeding the Indians. When we saw them coming we would take bread and molasses out to them.”

      "In my childhood I learned to crochet and braid straw to make hats, but I never learned to spin. One winter I earned $.50 quilling yarn. I received $.01 a skein and there were about 30 quills in each skein. The men gathered the cane to make the quills from the swamps in College Ward. These canes were cut about 4 or 5 inches long and the yarn wrapped around them to be used in weaving. I helped to weave thousands of yards of carpet. We women folk always bought our clothes with the money we earned by weaving rag carpet for people. We always dressed nice and the people thought we were well to do, but it was because we worked hard and were industrious.”

      Lottie told how she and Lucy had to weave 10 yards of carpet each day before they could play. The people walking past the house (which stands east of the Show House in Hymn) would hear them up stairs pounding the loom, would say, "Luc and Lot are playing their piano." They were paid $.10 a yard for weaving carpet and besides buying their dresses they helped to keep their brother Jim on his mission in New Zealand.

      Lottie writes, "Father used to raise field peas. He would pile them in a ring in the stack-yard.. When we thrashed them we drove the oxen around on them, then it was my delight to ride behind Jin on the horse around the ring. The horse raised its front feet high into the air in order to get over the piles of pea vines."

      “When they moved the graveyard they took my sister Lucy and I on the wagon pulled by oxen up to the graveyard to see the bodies, and I shudder yet to think of it.”

      “All my education was received in the grammar school at Hyrum. In the fall when the loads of sugar cane passed the school house we would run out and swipe a stick. We would break it then twist it and suck the juice. Often the sharp fibers in the cane would cut the corners of our mouths. I went to school until I was 10 years old,"

      Lottie’s favorite teacher was I. C. Thorsen. He liked children, and she thought he vas just wonderful. One spring the school went on an April Fool walk. They went on the hills west of town where the South Cache High School now stands. There they all picked Johnny Jump-ups and Lottie sat on the ground and braided them into a beautiful wreath which they carried back to the school house singing "We will crown him.” And so they did, putting the crown of flowers on their beloved teachers head. He was pleased, but a black cloud settled on the class and the teacher too when Mr. Pearce, the school trustee from Paradise, came in with his sharp eyes and his black beard bobbing up and down as the angry words came spurting out of his mouth.

      Lottie continues, "I always attended primary and Sunday school. In Sunday school they passed the Bible along the bench and each child read a verse.’

      "The girls I played with were Carrie Thorsen, Emma Nielsen and my sister Lucy, Luella Allen and Eliza Williams. The boys in our crowd were Dave Nielsen, Hans B. Nielsen and Will McBride, George McBride and Hi Nielsen. In the winter we went sleigh riding and in the summer we went to the Canyon. We played genie and ball and run-sheep-run all over Main Street. Main Street was a wide dirt road with box elder trees on each side. The side walk under the trees was dirt also."

      “In the winter dozens of sleighs with sleigh bells on the horses would go up and down Main Street, driving to beat the band. I don't know how we escaped getting killed. One night a crowd of us kids were sleigh riding. It was warning up and the snow was beginning to melt. We were singing and Hi Nielsen was singing Irish lullabies and the rest of us would join in, when Lucy said, "Let me drive and I'll go up and tip you all over." So she took the reins and went up to the corner of main and second East, turned around, and sure enough the sleigh tipped upside down, straw, kids, and all under the box. Lucy held on to the reins and so the horses pulled her out from under the pile and she was dragged with the runners down main street until the boys squirmed out and raced after them and stopped them down where Thomas Eliasen lives now. No one was hurt."

      “One New Years night we broke into the old rock meeting house and we rang the old year out and the New Year in. Earnest Petersen, the city Cop heard the beautiful bell tolling and came running, only to join in with us and finish ringing in the new year."

      Dances were held in the meeting house until Sern Hansen built the Opera House. Many of the mothers used to come and sit on the stand to watch the dancing which consisted of waltzes and the shoddish and square dances. One night Mr. Hansen came and danced with Lottie. He taught her to waltz and she loved it. She always liked to waltz with a good dancer and never did get enough dancing.

      In April, 1893 when Lottie was 19 years old she went to Salt Lake City to attend the dedication of the Temple. Her sister Lucy and friends Carrie Thorsen and Emma Nielsen went with her, and her parents. These four girls wore hats almost alike and had a wonderful time. Lottie’s older sister Julia was working in Salt Lake City at the time and she found a home where they could stay. They walked up to Fort Douglas one day. They saw the four seasons of the year displayed on the 6th of April, the sun was warm and bright, it rained and the wind blew until some of the store fronts blew off, and it snowed. Lottie bought some oranges with the money she had to spend and they were the best things she had ever tasted. One man stared at Lottie’s rosy cheeks and whispered to his friend that she had been using paint. Of course, she, the daughter of Ira Allen, didn’t use rouge.

      Lottie fell deeply in love with a boy in their crowd, David 0, Nielsen. He was almost four years older than her and lived a block and one half East of them on Main Street in Hyrum. They were married on June 19, 1895 in the Logan Temple.

      Family History written by Lottie T. Allen Nielsen in the early part of their married life.
      (Lottie tells of her wedding day and early family history)

      It was one of the most beautiful mornings I ever saw, the earth was green, roses were in bloom, nature was in the height of her beauty,

      We rode to Logan in a one horse buggy. Nancy Margaret Nielsen, Ira Allen, Cynthia Allen, and Elisabeth Williams went through the Temple with us. We were married between one and two o'clock, by Apostle Merrill. We had a small wedding reception in the evening for the Nielsen and Allen families and a few of our young friends. We lived in Grand Father Osborn’s house for five months then we moved up in the Second ward in Elnora Wight’s house. We lived there until April first 1896 when we bought Niels Monson’s home down in the Third Ward. We paid one thousand dollars for it to William J. Hill. We paid $235.00 down, gave him a mortgage for seven hundred sixty five dollars at 12% interest. Times were very dull and wheat was $.35 a bushel. Milk was $.65 a hundred in store pay. It was almost impossible to get any money. We had twenty-five acres of land, a good team and one old horse, one cow, and ten chickens. June 19, 1896 our first baby was born. We named him David Otis. We were very happy and proud of him. Jan. 1, 1997 our baby got very sick, with convulsions. It looked like it would be almost impossible for him to get well. We administered to him, the Lord heard and answered our prayers and he was made well. I think the Lord sent us that trial to humble us, so we would live a little nearer to Him. We had become careless about tending to our family prayers. I think we had our hearts set too much on our baby.

      We worked very hard to make a living, and pay our interest. Sept, 2, 1898 another baby was born to us, a little girl. We named her Gladys. Times began to get a little better. We were getting more around us, stock and chickens.

      Sept, 22, 1901, another girl was born to us. We named her Virginia. I was sick for a year after Virginia was born. I took quarts of patent medicine, thinking it would help me but I continued to get worse. Then I went to several doctors. I did not seem to get any better and I almost gave up hope. Thought I was going to die. I had a very bad spell one night in August 1902, David went over and got N. J, Nielsen to come over and administer to me. As soon as he put his hands on my head, I felt a wave go from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet. I began to improve from that hour. I thank the Lord that I got well. I know he has been very good to us.

      On Feb. 15, 1904, another girl baby was born to us. We named her Helen Aileen. Aug. 3, 1906, another girl baby was born to us, we named her Emma Cynthia. Sept.15, 1907 David was called on a mission to Scandinavia. We worked very hard that fall to get our affairs straightened around, and get means for the mission and to pay up our debts. On Dec. 26, 1907 he left home. Dec. 27, he was set apart for his mission by Golden Kimball. I was left home with one boy and four little girls, the baby a little over a year old. Willis Savage, my nephew, 16, lived with us and did the milking and chores. Because of ill health David’s mission was cut short and he was released to come home in June 1908.

      April 4, 1909 a boy baby was born to us. We named him Newell Wayne. He had blue eyes and dark brown hair. He had a noble countenance. He would smile and jump every time you looked at him. He was tall and seemed to be a very strong child. In Dec.1909 Virginia got Scarlet fever at school. She was a very sick girl. One week after, Aileen, Emma and Newell came down with it. Aileen was very sick. Emma had it light. Newell was very sick for five days. On the 21 of Dec, he died. It was a bitter blow to us. We could not hold a funeral as we were in under quarantine. Rebecca Allen came down a few hours before he died, she washed and layed him out. Lucy Quinney made his clothes. We acknowledged the hand of the Lord in this trial, believing that he will work out things for our best good if we serve him and keep his commandments.

      Lottie gave birth to three more sons, Paul Aubrey on Jan. 13, 1911, Hans Eugene on April 11, 1913, and Blair Reed on Aug. 19, 1916.

      On April 17, 1917 her oldest son Otis died at the age of 21. He had never been very strong and that winter until he took sick he had attended the Agricultural College. Getting up and milking cows, walking a mile to the station to take the train to Logan, and then walking up to the college. It was felt that this had been too much for his strength.

      On June 21, 1920 a little girl with dark curly hair was born to them. After four boys and four years without a baby she was very welcome and loved by all the family. She was given the name of Margaret Charlotte. Lottie’s oldest daughter Gladys returned from a mission to the Eastern States just a week before the baby was born. She had six of her children fill missions. First her three oldest daughters and then her three sons. The first of each month the check was sent to the missionary and then the family lived on what was left. Her testimony was that the Lord so blessed them that they always had more to live on when there was a missionary in the field.

      She taught the importance of keeping the Sabbath day holy and never did anything but what was necessary on that day. She impressed upon her children never to go to the store on Sunday. Her teachings were that if no one bought anything on Sunday then the store people wouldn’t have to work on that day.

      She gained the confidence and love of her children by playing with them and taking an interest in the things they loved to do. Many winter afternoons she spent sleigh riding with them, especially while her husband was on his mission, and in the summer time going on picnics and fishing trips.

      On March 31, 1931 she made arrangements and had all three of her boys go to Bro. O. M. Wilson’s and receive their patriarchal blessings. She felt that in getting them to do this she had really accomplished something. She was sure that these blessings would be a guide in helping them to live right.

      She worked in the mutual as a Bee-hive teacher and then in the Relief Society, first as a counselor and then as President, While in the Relief Society she took very sick and was in the hospital for about a week. She was never very strong after this sick spell. She loved to work and it was hard for her not to do as much as she would like to.

      She had the trial of parting with two more of her children through death. On Feb, 13, 1938 her daughter Gladys passed away leaving a husband and two little girls and then ten years later Jan. 19, 1948 Margaret died at the birth of her first child, a little boy.

      Lottie loved nice things and her home was made beautiful by her hand made rugs, quilts and fancy work. She was a good seamstress and made her own and her children’s clothes.

      Lottie was a very religious person and loved to talk about the gospel. She tried to apply its teachings in her everyday life. Her home was on a hill just above the rail road tracks. In the summer-time when times were hard many tramps went up and down the track. Nearly all of them stopped and asked for something to eat and I never remember her ever turning one away without giving them food. Sometimes they were brought in the kitchen and set up to the table and other times she sent a lunch with them.

      In 1919 when the flu was so bad, every day she would cook a hot dinner and send to her neighbors who were ill. The gospel had meant so much to her in her life that it thrilled her to see it guiding the activities of her children and grand children. On her 80th birthday she bore her testimony in Relief Society meeting expressing her gratitude for her many blessings. Four months later she died at her home on March 22, 1954.

      My grandma Nielsen lived a short distance from our house. During the summers, I would walk over to her house almost every day. I felt so happy there. She was the kindest, most gentle person I ever knew. She would always be singing as she worked and was never in a hurry. She seemed to be content and happy all of the time.

      Grandma had a special gift: Without any pretense or show on her part, she was able to make everyone feel welcome and wanted in her home. It didn't matter what weakness or faults they had, she loved and welcomed them just as they were. Everyone felt safe and secure in her presence. Her home was a place where people wanted to be.

      Not only did my grandma have a wonderful gift with people, but her gift extended even to animals. Somehow they also felt just as safe as people did around her.

      One summer day, when I was at her house, I noticed a robin on the front lawn. It was flopping around in a strange way, and as I came close to it, I noticed that it's right wing was broken and bent in such a way that the bird could not fold it up against it's body or flap it to fly. It was desperate to get away from me, but could not.

      I called to my grandma and took her to see the bird. Without a word, she gently bent down and picked it up. She wasn't afraid of it and and the bird did not struggle to get away from her. Somehow she managed to do something to the damaged wing and folded it close to it's body. She held it firmly but gently in her enclosed hands for a time, then opened them and threw the bird into the sky. It was amazing! The bird flew away perfectly, as though nothing had been wrong.

      Though this story may seem incredulous to some, it is true. I do not know how grandma did it, but somehow the bird's damaged wing was fixed and worked just as well as it's other wing.


      It is April 20, 1990. It seems impossible that I am eighty three years old. Today, at the request of my niece and her husband, Annette and Karl Mattson, I began to record my memories so the spirit of Elijah will continue to hold our family together.

      CHAPTER 1: Who Am I?

      I am Aunt Emma and I'm writing this book for my nieces and nephews that can really call me Aunt Emma. You know, in the pre-existence, I thing we were together. All you nieces and nephews and Aunt Emma. I was one just like you, no older and no younger. I wonder what the pre-existence was like. In my old age I think I had a glimpse of it. I don't know how it happened, but a strip about two inches wide was ripped away from the veil and I felt like I felt in the pre-existence. You know, we sing a line from the song "The Spirit of God" that says "The veil over the earth is beginning to burst" and maybe it burst for me. I felt we were all there and knew each other. When I had that little experience, I was happy. NEver in all my life have I felt as happy as I did then.

      The pre=existence was a great time to live, a time to be together. It's interesting how the LDS Church helps us to know what happened in that pre-existent state. I think we all knew Adam. We know Enoch and how righteous a man he was, how he taught all his people to be righteous so they were taken into heaven. We know Noah, whose righteous family was left when the flood came and drowned all the rest. We were there and saw what was happening here on the earth. We knew Abraham and that great character, Joseph, who was sold into Egypt. Joseph is an example for all of you nephews to follow. I fyou could be as great as him, you would really be something. And then we knew Nephi and Moroni. Since the very first time I read the Book of Mormon, Moroni became my favorite prophet of the Book of Mormon. My heart just went out to him in his old age. He wasn't so old for he wandered around the earth all alone and watched the Lamanites in hiding so they wouldn't find him. I've spent a lot of my life away from family and close friends and have felt somewhat alone, so my heart still goes out to Moroni. We knew him in the pre-existence.

      Then there is Joseph Smith. The records kept by the people who knew him tell he was a handsome man. If you read the writing about Joseph Smith you will feel like you knew him too. I'm glad Joseph Smith's mother wrote about his childhood so that we can know that he was just a boy like you boys and had struggles and really suffered. I think of some of you nieces and nephews. If any of you have had a few struggles in your youth like Joseph Smith had, maybe that was a learning experience. As we learn about Joseph, we learn to love him and look forward to the time when we can be near him and enjoy such a wonderful person; a prophet who brought the restored church so we could have this marvelous gospel.

      As we learn to love other people, we learn to love the Savior, our Redeemer. We have to learn how to love people. I think the more we do for others, the more we learn to love them and the less we think about ourselves. So you see, in the spirit world we were all together. I think we knew each other and because we are of one big family; you knew me and I knew you. And we'll know each other in the future.

      CHAPTER 2: The Miracle of Birth

      I was born in the bedroom on a folded sheet on the bed and carried through the living room and down some steps into the kitchen. I was placed by the nurse, Emma Liljenquist, on the kitchen table. She cleaned my body and put on a tight band over my navel and around my stomach. My eyes were closed to the bright light of the world. Doctor Cantrell delivered my and my mother knew that I was special like her other four children. I had a wave of red hair. I began my way on earth on August 3, 1906. I had one brother older than me, David Otis. My sisters were Gladys, Virginia, and Aileen.

      Years later when I was in my fiftieth year, I witnessed the miracle of birth wile I was working at Liahona, Tonga. I was teaching school for the Church and early one morning a girl came running into our home where several lady teachers lived together. She said, "Come. So and so (I don't remember her name) is having her baby. Come."

      I didn't think I was capable of such a thing as delivering a baby so I told her to go get one of the builder's wives, who lived just on the other side of the school, and I rushed to school and turned my work over to Tupou Nayata so she could teach the class. I went to the little Tongan grass house with a lovely clean mat on the floor and there was the mother. The baby had been born and was lying close to the mother. The builder's wife was there and with her shaky, shaky hands she was trying to tie the cod. I took the silkaline and the scissors away from her and knelt down. I tied a piece of the thread around the cord next to the navel. Using a square knot to tie it firm, I tied two knots about an inch apart and cut the threads. Then I took the small sharp scissors and cut the cord between the two ties. The baby cried because it hurt. I guess that was the first time that little baby had felt the pain of the body. Here I was in the Islands in my fiftieth year experiencing the miracle of birth. It was a beautiful experience. I could just feel the Lord was near and I want you nieces to know that as you have your children, you too will feel the miracle of birth as I felt that spirit in the Islands. Because I never had any children, I'm so thankful that the Lord let me feel this experience in Tonga. I am also thankful that I had a mothercraft class at the Agricultural College (USU) when I was in college so I knew what to expect and what to do.

      CHAPTER 3: My Childhood on the Farm

      The first thing I remember is the lamp on the table in the little kitche. Then they tore out the little kitchen and build on a new kitchen. It was a lovely room about 14 x 16 feet. The stove was at the north end with a window above the stove and there was also a door with a window on that wall. The east wall had a window, and the south wall had a door with a window that led out to the porch. We spent most of our time around the kitchen stove watching and playing games, or doing things around the kitchen table.

      When my parents built the new kitchen on the house, they made a new curved stairway which wasn't so steep. We went from the kitchen, up the corner and turned to he right and then up the stairway. As we grew older we had to bend our heads down a little bit because the ceiling was so low, and sometimes when people came, they bumped their heads on the ceiling. The hallway had a high ceiling and led to three rooms; one to the north, one to the south, and one to the east. the east room received warmth from the living room and it wasn't so cold, but the other two were cold. Our folks thought fresh air was important and even in the winter, we left our windows open. I remember one morning when we woke up on the north room, the wind had blown the snow clear across the floor. Well, how did we keep warm? The iron beds had a good solid mattress and we had quilts, and quilts, and quilts on top of us and when we went to bed, we often put a flat iron in the oven and warmed it up, wrapped a cloth around it and put it by our feet, which would help warm up the bed. With our warm nightgowns and our quilts we kept snuggy and warm. We slept two in a bed. In the east room the boys had two beds and a single bed to the side. We felt we had it nice and we really weren't poor. We had it as good as anybody.

      We had the first bathtub in town and when we built the new kitchen, we built a little pantry and the bathroom with the tub which stood on claw feet so you could clean under it. A full grown person could lay back in the tub and be covered from his neck to his toes. It was great. When we first got the tub there was no city water in Hyrum, so we had to use the well on the back porch. We primed a little water down the pump and continued to pump until the water came up. We would fill our buckets and put the water on the boiler on the stove to warm. We also had a reservoir on the stove that you could fill with water and the heat from the stove would heat it. We would then carry the water from the stove to the pantry into the bathroom and dump it in the tub and pour a little cold water in to make the right temperature. When we were through bathing, we just pulled the cork and the water ran down the hill. It was a number of years later when we got city water and then we had a tap into the house. Mother would put her three boys in that tub and she said that was the most wonderful thing to bathe three boys; a red headed, a black headed, and a white headed boy all at once in the tub.

      We were a noisy little family. I used to sit on my little red chair and scoot across the floor. That was so much fun and I guess that is the reason why Aunt Lucy and Aunt Laurie thought it disturbed Grandma Cynthia Benson when she stayed with her children in her later years. I used to take her outside to the toilet. I would take her hand and guide her outside and wait by the door until she came out.

      One time when I had been home and sick for about a week, I told my mother I would have to have a note to take to the teacher, and she said the teacher doesn't need a note. She can see that you've been sick. When I got to school, because I did't have a note, I had to go to the truant office. I was frightened. When I got home and told mother, I cried and cried.

      Another time I cried, I must have been a sensitive person, we came home from church along the railroad track, and Beline Anderson, who wsas older than I, looked at me and said: "Emma, you have been crying, haven't you?" It was embarrassing.

      The first lawn we had, Otis dug some grass out of the ditch bank and planted it near the house. It was only about 10 feet by 5 feet wide. Later father planted lawn all around.

      One summer southwest of the house, we had an area where we didn't have lawn and we played in the mud. I built a big hut. We played in the leaves each fall. We had to fence an area off where mother could plant flowers so the chickens wouldn't scratch them up. Otis found some roses in the catalog that would bloom more than once, so he sent for two plants, one with a salmon flower and the other with a white flower.

      We had a big farm. Every time father would get a chance to buy a little land, mother would skimp and even the children would save to help pay for it. We had the property that Grandpa Nielsen (my father) owned. It was about 13 acres down in the field and next to it was 12 acres. We had the apple eyard land, which was closer to the house, about 1/2 mile away. We had the corner pasture and we had the Sunnybrook Farm, which was down across the street about a block away. We had a piece of land below the house and we could stand in our kitchen and look out the window of the door that opened out to the back porch and see all over the valley. We loved to see the sunsets and the Temple from out kitchen window.

      At the Sunnybrook Farm we raised strawberries. One summer when Aileen was on her mission, we raised a half acre of strawberries, which brought in enough money to keep her on her mission for three months. It cost $50 a month for her mission, which was during the depression.

      Next to the house was a hollow full of trees. It was a pretty place, but that's where we threw our junk. We didn't have garb age people to gather it, so down the hollow it went. It eventually got covered up with more junk and dirt. Around the house we had a barn. Father built it I guess. We had a granary and next to the house was a place that was lower. It can't remember it very well, but it was a gully at the east side of the house which we crossed on a board. The folks said when they first moved there, the outhouse was built over this gully. When I was little, the outhouse was moved to the back of the house where people couldn't see it. When the privy was filled, Father would shovel it out, from the back, and bury the contents.

      I learned to work when I was little. I can remember my mother saying the greatest lesson in life is to learn to work. She had a way of teaching us to work. I liked to pick strawberries and black caps. I quite enjoyed thinning beet, and it wasn't to bad to be out in the sun and work but my most important job as a child was to tend the babies. I tended Paul, Eugene, Blair, and Margaret. I didn't do dishes or sweep the floor like my older sisters. I tended the babies. I even tended them on Sunday while my mother and father attended church and I never went to Sacrament meeting until I was fourteen years old. I used to feel kind of guilty about that, but that's the way it was a maybe that is a great lesson for us to learn: to obey.

      Maybelle Nielsen and I went to school together at Lincoln School. The first grade was in the basement of the school with Miss Petersen as the teacher. I thought school aw all right. I guess I was in the first grade when I learned that I could draw better than anyone and that gave me confidence. When I was in the 7th and 8th grades, the teacher had me draw pictures on the blackboard with colored chalk. I would stay after school and draw these pictures.

      At home we each had our certain jobs to do. My job was to clean the bathroom. I didn't mind cleaning every Saturday and I would scrub abound the toilet and try to keep it nice and clean. I still don't mind cleaning the bathroom.

      Now it might be a good idea for the nephews to listen to this. Some of the members of the family left a ring around the tub, and it was hard to get off when it was dry. So one night I just explained to the whole bunch: "After you get through with your bath, if you will take your wash rag and cover it with a lot of soap and go around the tub, where the water line is and rub, it will take off the ring. Then wash it down with water until the ring is gone." From then on we didn't have a ring and it was much easier to clean.

      The thing I didn't like to do was ride the rose while Father plowed or shovel plowed along the garden. The horse was big and fat and my and my legs stretched wide over it. I know the think that bothered me and the eason I hated it so was because Father would yell: " Hit to the right, hit to the left" and I didn't know how to do it. I just hated to ride horses and I didn't like to ride when they lifted the hay from the wagon upon the fork lift and into the barn. The person in the barn would yell, "Dump it." and the one on the hayrack would pull the rope. The fork dumped the hay in the barn, and the person in the barn would spread it out while they got another fork load of hay. We had to ride the horse from he back of the barn to the front and I didn't like that and I don't think I did it very much. Aileen was the one who loved to ride the horse. She rode to get the cows. My other job was to gather the eggs so I didn't have to ride the horse to get the cows.

      In the summertime, Father would plant 1/4 acre or maybe a half acre of green peas. We would take our sacks and walk to the apple yard land and pick peas all morning, filling our sacks, then carry them home. We walked home on the railroad track because that was the quickest way. Then we would sit on the front porch and shell peas by the hour. Mother would put them in quart bottles and pressure then in the pressure cooker. I suppose we had the first pressure cooker in Hyrum. It had curve sides and little legs that stood up, and it would hold three quart bottles. With a big family, a quart of peas was good. Other people used a copper bottom boiler, filling it with water over the tops of the bottles. We didn't use that much because the pressure cooker was faster and it was more safe. We bottled peas, beans, and fish. Father would buy Bear Lake suckers, but when you cooked them ion the pressure cooker, it was just like salmon. The bones were so soft you could chew them up and eat them with the rest of the meat. The flavor of the Bear Lake suckers was good and we liked them. At first we didn't eat too much beef. Our family was little, and I guess we could buy meat from the store. Fifteen cents worth of hamburger would cook enough for the whole family and Mother could make it taste so good. She would put an egg or two in it, because we always had eggs from the chickens, some cream, and then fry it. It was soft and flavored. We liked mother's cooking and she made the best milk gravy. Bernice Quinney, a cousin my age, still remembers the milk gravy. She had red hair too. She lived in Logan and always came to stay with us about a week every summer. Her family would come at other times and sometimes came and shelled peas. Mother would always give them some of the peas in the quart bottles.

      I will always remember the first dentist I went to. He was Dr. Budge, who was a big heavy man. His office was on the second floor of the building standing on Main and the north corner of Center Street. There is a room that juts out to the side with about five windows touching each other. The windows made it light for Dr. Budge's delicate work. HE was so friendly, and I remember a song he sang "Oh say what is truth, tis the fairest gem . . ." As a little girl, it impressed upon my mind how very important it was to always tell the truth. My brother, Paul, also remembers the dentist's room.

      I think Dr. Budge was a missionary in Europe, as a young man, and knew the German language and was the interpreter when Karl G. Maeser was baptized, Brother Maeser later became the first president of BYU.

      We learned so much in our family taking care of each other, and I guess most of the families were like we were; a noisy family. We knelt by our chair around the table to pay and mother would say she was so thankful for that quietness at family payer.

      I wanted to include some of the memories of my nieces who are all married with families of their own. They remember Thanksgiving dinners and the fun they had together.

      Judy Nielsen Erickson said that if Virginia and Levi did not have the pond, where would we have gone for our picnics?Sometimes we would go out there to sleep, the kids in our family, Vayle, Alice and Allen. My first bouncing on a tree was out by the pond. Someone bigger than I would pull the limbs down and I Would climb on and he would bounce me up and down. I remember the ice Levi cut from the pond and buried in the sawdust in a big hole by the north bank. Ice cream was so goo mad with that ice.

      Ann Smith Nebeker tells of her memories of living in Hyrum for about seven summers: "I loved my summers with my grandparents in their brick house on the hill above the railroad track on the edge of town. When Vilate and I came, there were ten chairs around the long table in the big kitchen. Virginia, Aileen, Paul, Eugene, Blair, and Margaret were all home to do the farm work.

      In the morning before breakfast, we put the backs of the chairs against the table and kneeled with our arms on the chair as we had morning prayer. We took turns praying and always asked the Lord for protection during the day. The home was a busy place. There were food preparations, pulling weeds, hauling hay, caring for the cows, gathering eggs, and canning fruit and vegetables.

      I remember sitting at the kitchen table looking at piles of chicken pieces that were to be put in bottles and pressure for food storage. It all started with Grandpa catching the chickens, cutting off their heads at the wood pile, then hanging the chickens by their feet to bleed. They were scalded in buckets of boiling water so the feathers could be stripped off. The chickens were cut up and we got the hearts and gizzards to dice and play with.

      Washing was long day when we had to put the big boiler on the kitchen stove to heat the water and then carry it to the washer on the back porch. Piles of clothes were separated all over the floor. When we were through, the wash water was thrown out the door and let run down the hill. We hung the sheets, underwear, and dresses on the clothesline to dry. Heavy items were laid over the fence in the front yard.

      The swill bucket was also on the back porch where all the food scraps were put and then fed to the pigs. The memories of that smell still come to mind.

      I remember blanching corn on the cook stove, cutting it off the cob, and putting it on big screens propped on chairs, than left to dry on the lawn. the horses loved the cobs and the flies loved corn. I remember picking black caps on those terrible prickly bushes, picking dew berries and strawberries.

      I Slept in the south bedroom where the quilts on the bed were pieced scraps from everyone's dresses. It was fun lying in bed and pointing to each square of fabric, telling who had a dress made from each peice. We had the heated irons wrapped in towels,to put in our beds to help keep our feet warm, and lots of quilts piled on top.

      Chapter 4: Father's Mission and Our Church

      One day in the summer a big letter came from Box B, and of course, my mother knew what it meant. When they opened the letter, it was a mission call for father to go to Denmark in December. So he had a few months to get ready for his mission, leaving a rather frail wife with five children. He was to support himself on the mission and his wife would run the farm, make the living, and take care of the family. Denmark was a long way away, but that's where my grandfather, Hans Enoch Nielsen, was born and had also been on a mission there. That fall, our large apple orchard produced a lot of apples, and I think we earned about $500., which was a large amount of money, so he could go on his mission. It seems that he took most of his money with him. I was the baby and can remember a little bit about it.

      While my father was gone, I can remember in the wintertime how mother would take the children and go behind the house and some of the children woulds ride down the hill on the sleigh and go very fast. Someone would get in the dish pan and it would whirl around and around down the hill. Another child would get on a shovel and ride down the hill. Aileen was the best one. She could get in that dish pan and have more fun whirling around down the icy hill. Mother played with her children and it made the time go faster. We saved the beautiful letters father sent from his mission. Father wrote about trying to learn the language and visiting the branch. He wrote me a letter, which I have in my Book of Remembrance. I think my father really loved me; he used to call me Emma Cynthie Sweetheart rode on an apple cart. He also loved his small wife with dark hair, and a little pointed nose. And she love him and they expressed that love to each other while he was on his mission. He didn't stay full mission because I think he just got so homesick that probably his food didn't digest good and he had stomach trouble. He thought it was the oatmeal much he ate every morning. Anyway, after being sick for some time, the mission president gave him a release to go home. The money he had left, he gave to the leaders of the church to help build the chapel in Aleburg.

      After he came home, father was made superintendent of the Sunday School. We have a picture of all the Sunday School children, in the choir seats under the dome in the the Third Ward church, and he is standing to the back against the wall holding me. His mission was like a seed that started a great missionary family. All of his grandsons, except two have been on missions. Many of his granddaughters also have served missions and now it is his great-grandchildren teaching the gospel.

      Chapter 5: My Teaching Years

      Every simmer on the campus of the Agricultural College (USU), Farmers Encampment was held for a week, where all the farmers would pitch tents and meet to learn more about farming and homemaking. We always stayed home, but went to the conference which was held on the quadrangle. One time when we were at the conference, father said to me: "Emma, would you like to go to school here?" And so I Said "yes" and my father supported me in school.

      The first summer before I went to school, I picked beans every day, all day long, and earned enough money for my tuition, which was $60. for the year. Since I worked so hard in the fields all summer, I didn't have a dress to wear, so I made one out of some old black material. Father had brought some material home from his mission and mother made a dress out of it and wore it out. I used pieces of that dress to trim my black satin dress. Then I didn't have any shoes which would look nice with it, but mother had some pretty black shoes. I wore this dress and mother's shoes to college. I guess I wore it for about three weeks and in that time I was able to get some cloth and make me another dress, so I didn't have to wear just my black one. I also was able to buy some new shoes.

      I remember one day I was walking with one of the professors down a long hill, that came straight from the tower, and he was asking me questions and found out I was a freshman and just starting school. He said: "if you can finish out the first year, then you'll graduate". That was the truth and I went all four years and it wasn't easy, but it was what I had to do. I would get up in the morning and hurry to the street car station (the street car ran through Hyrum then). The station was just a block north of the Hyrum Bank and sometimes I'd have to run, but I made it. I would get on and ride to Logan and then I would walk up the hill to the college, and home back the same way at night. I graduated in textiles and clothing with a minor in art.

      In the winter of my Senior year, I was living in the practice cottage, which was situated just below the hill, and I went to a dance one night. It was fun. I went with a fellow from across the valley. As he left, I looked out of the window and watched him as he bent beneath the pine trees, which were heavy with snow. A voice said to me: "you will not marry him". Well, the next day his steady girlfriend was surer mad at me. It turned out that way' she married him and I got a job.

      My first job was in St. David, Arizona teaching home economics. I didn't get the job until about a few weeks before school started, and I was about the last to get a job. Later I heard that I got more pay than any other graduate that year, but of course, I didn't know that pay was higher in Arizona that Utah. I rode the bus all night from Hyrum directly to Tombstone, Arizona, where I thought I would have to take the state test. I was tired. I got a room in a hotel and bought some grapefruit and sat on the floor, peeled the grapefruit, and ate it. Then I laid on the bed and went to sleep for two or three hours. I had called the superintendent in St. David and he said I could take the test later, so Mr. Oldfather, the principal of the high school, came and picked me up at the hotel and we went to St. David.

      The first year I boarded with Mrs. Lizzy Merrill. It was just a block from the school. The high school was a nice brick building. There were teachers named Mortensen, Wilson, Lauritson, and Nielsxen. I was Nielsen and the only woman on the faculty, so we used to think of it as Mr. Oldfather and his four "sons". I taught physical education along with my home economics. I also taught a class at the elementary school.

      I was there for two years and I fit in with the young people of the small ward and it was so nice to be in the ward. We had so much fun together. We used to go on picnics out in the brush. I had been there for three or four months, which seemed like a long time to be away from home, when it started to rain. I remember looking out of the west window and the rain was just coming down and I started to cry. It was like home. In St. David, we hadn't had any rain, just hot sunshine, and the rooms were not air conditioned. It would get up to ninety or one hundred degrees in the the rooms and you didn't wear rayon; that was too hot. You had to wear cotton to keep cool enough.

      I had a good time there with the young people, and when I left they had a surprise party for me. We went for a ride, and when we came back, I went into the bedroom and it was full of teenagers. They yelled "surprise" and it was such a nice party.

      We used to dance in the gym by the records played on the phonograph. There was a certain waltz, I've forgotten the name, but Mr. Bunbee would ask me to dance every single time. He was a good waltzer and we went waltzing around that gym and I always knew I had to dance with him when they played thaat waltz. The other teacher, Mr. Mortensen, never asked me to dance, but Later I married him. He taught agriculture, Spanish, and was the coach. He had taught ten years and had gone to State eight times. Our school had 56 students and five teachers, and how he could get a winning team out of 56 students, which were half girls, I'll never know, but he was a good coach and he liked it and people liked him. It was a good experience for me to teach in St. David, a little town under the great big cottonwood trees. The highway ran through the town with the church on one side and the school on the other; a few houses with the farms scattered around.

      My mother came to visit me while I was in St. David and had a scary experience. Father didn't give her any money and he said she could write a check. She was in San Bernadino where she had to change trains and she didn't have anyone to buy her ticket, but a little Mormon boy got her check cashed and she was able to continue on. She was pretty frightened about it.

      I taught school there the winter of 1930-31 and 1931-32 before I came home. It was the time of the Depression and while I was in St. David, I had my money in the bank in Benson, and the bank went broke and I lost most of my money. When the new checks came in, they asked us to help the people that didn't have work and part of my check went to help those that were without work. They did some volunteer work and received their pay from the donations of the people.

      I came home without a job and I taught a government program in the old school house that was on the southwest corner of the public square, where the pioneer children had attended. That was kind of interesting. I don't remember what I taught; crafts or something.

      My next job was teaching at Dixie College in St. George. I taught sewing in the high school and at the college. It was a wonderful four years I spent in the warm sunshine. I also taught art at the college and about the third year I was there, they asked me if I wanted to teach all art or all clothing. I knew the man, Mr. Huntsman, that wanted to come teach art, so I said I would teach all sewing. Near the end of my teaching in St. George, I painted a mural for a wall in the science building. It was was names "Science and Arty for Better Homes". I had depicted a boy in the woodwork department, a girl at the sewing machine, and another girl by the stove, because that is what the building was used for. Elden Beck said: " Oh I wished I had something to leave this school like that mural".

      Elden and I Worked together and started the Fine Arts Festival at Dixie College. I don't know whether it still continues or not, but it was really nice. We worked hard and had people come from Salt Lake City to give lectures. We had a fine arts queen to reign at the ball. I helped her make a dress, as she wasn't a very good sewer. I designed the decorations for the ball. We took a piece of crepe paper and cut it in three strips. Then we fringed it at the one side a little past the half way mark, and twisted that from the center out to the edges of the room. It was beautiful,, but the second day after we put it up, it was sagging and we had to go around and put a bit pleat in every strip so it wouldn't sag. I remember after the ball we stood there and looked at it and it was just thrilling to see such beautiful decorations.

      My next teaching was at South Cache for four years. I don't remember much about South Cache. It was just go there every morning and come home every night. It wasn't like teaching in St. David where we had dances and fun together. Nothing eventful ever happened and I never had any dates. Someone told me I should get nicer clothes and dress fancy, and I did, but I still didn't have any dates.

      One night after I left school, I was walking out of the north door down the long diagonal sidewalk that goes to the seminary building, and it was icy. I was walking along when all of a sudden I just laid down. My feet slid and my head hit the ice before any part of my back or legs. I hurried and got up and looked around, and there wasn't a person that saw me.

      The summer of 1989. Lila Mae Allen, one of my former students at South Cache, told me how I helped her make a suit out of her father's suit, and how she just loved that suit and wore it for years. I didn't remember but I do remember a girls from Wellsville bring a coat of her mother's and I helped her make it ov er so she could wear it.

      I taught at USU in the Art Department while Jessie Larsen took a year's leave of absence. That was a good experience/ I had some good students. I taught leather craft and I'd never had a leather craft class, but the head of the department, Mr. Carnaby, helped me and I got along all right. I also taught jewelry and I had fun working with leather and I think the students did too. I learned along with them.

      My next assignment was at Grace, Idaho, where I taught for one year in the home economics and art departments. After the school year I came home and took care of mother for six years,s and after mother died, I was so worn out that I had a little nervous collapse and for the last four or five days of her life, I just wasn't able to take care of her. I went to Virginia's but then got better and I spent the last night with mother and the next day in the evening, she died. After she died she had two or three little death rattles and then her spirit left her body. I closed her eyelids and her body was taken away.

      The years I stayed with mother we learned to love each other so much, and I think that's where I learned to love. You have to learn to give of yourself in order to love and she loved me. I slept with her for, I guess two or three years, so I'd be right there to help her when she needed help and she's reach over and touch me. Love is a beautiful thing if you can learn how to love, but you have to learn how to love. Love might be something like a machine inside of you, and if you turn the handle, out comes the love, but if you never turn the handle, you'll never learn to love.

      After taking care of mother for those years, I finally got up the courage in the summer time to go to the college to look for work. I went to the Extension office and they needed a home agent and they hired me. I met a friend and she said, "Why don't you buy my car. I'll sell it to your for $300 and you can pay me when you have the money". After mother died, I told father there was $130. left from the grocery money and he said I could have that, so I paid it on the car. I packed my things and drove this little Ford car to Cedar City. I first live in the Eden Apartments. The agriculture agent I worked with was Steve Brower. He was so good to me and a good AG agent and he taught me the works, so I found out what I had to do. Steve told me I should go on every road in Iron County because I worked for the whole county and I should know the country. I suppose I did.

      Our offices were on the second floor; on the main floor was the post office and it had very high ceilings, so there were lot of steps for me to climb to our office. I had broken the cartilage in my knees, so it hurt every step up and every step down. Our supplies were in the basement, but I didn't let that bother me. That was a hard job.

      I gave a radio program once a week and I would record the program on whatever I thought would interest the women in the county, and the radio station would play it on the air.

      One day when I was in Parowan, with the Four-H Club girls, helping do an exhibit for the fair. We had worked hard and I was so tired afterward, I went to a little grove of trees in the park and laid down on one of the picnic tables. Then I remembered my radio program. I had to do it that day. So I had to wind up my tired body and get in my little car and go to the office and do the radio program. One of the county agents later said: "That was excellent!" It thrilled me to do a good program.

      I didn't like extension work so I put in my resignation. I didn't like it because I didn't like to give demonstrations. I didn't like to show off and I didn't feel I was good at it. It was hot in the summer in Cedar City and cold in the winter. It was beautiful country, but all the while I was there I never painted a single picture and I liked to paint because it gave me a chance to really see the beauty of nature.

      I came home in the fall and couldn't find a job. It was on Christmas day when the telephone rang and someone asked me if I's like to go to Tonga and teach school for the Church. I said, "I sure would because I don't have work". In January the first paid school teachers left for Tonga. There was quite a group of us and we flew from Hawaii to Fiji, taking ab out 21 hours. We stopped for gas in the Canton Islands on the equator and was it hot in the middle of the night. This was before the days of jet travel and it took us a long time and it was a trying trip. I couldn't sleep on the plane because of the roaring noise. We spent a day in Fiji to charter a sea plane to take us to Tonga.

      This was one of the most wonderful jobs. I think that's why I never married until later because the Lord wanted me to go to Tonga. At least I felt that way whether it's true or not. They had a big party for us and we meet those dark skinned people with their beautiful even features and their large noses. I got so I liked those noses and I came home and was disappointed when everybody had such funny little noses. The Tongans are a beautiful people, at least I think they are. It was hard for me to adjust to the lower altitude, sea level, in Tonga. Tonga is a small island about 20 miles long and about 7 miles wide; maybe about the size of Cache valley. Tonga is flat without hills, just trees, no lakes or mountains and so different. I couldn't stand the smell when the women put Tongan oil, made from coconuts, on their skins. It had such a strong smell.

      We lived with the principal the first three weeks until our houses were finished. All the teachers crowded into that house and we ate around one big table. I was in my fifties and they didn’t know what to call me. Miss Nielsen didn’t sound very good and I said: “Well, call me aunt Emma. That’s what I’m called at home all the time”. So I was Aunt Emma to the teachers and the parents and the people of Tonga, and that’s the reason I’m still Aunt Emma.
      The first two years I taught sewing in a high school, but the last year I taught arts and crafts. It was interesting to have all the boys taking craft classes. We took sharp bush knives, about eighteen inches long, to break the rough outer shell of the coconuts. The outer shell leaves were made into brushes. The coconuts were heated in the oven and then the coconut meat was taken out of the hard shell and shipped off the island to make soap and other products.
      The students lived on campus in dormitories across the street from our home and they worked after school to pay for their board. Foughtia Panga was head of the girls dormitories. They did everything; mow lawns with bush knives, and with a swish, swish, swish, they cut the lawn. They did a good job. Then to plant the lawn, the interesting thing was they didn’t plant anything. They just plowed and harrowed and leveled it off and the grass came up. The girls would cut out the weeds and poor grass, and pretty soon the grass became a good lawn.

      The second year they asked me to be head of the landscaping on the island, so I used planter boxes. There were planter boxes below the windows in the front of the building and on each side of the driveway up to the main school building. There was a covered hallway between buildings, so I put planter boxes along this hallway with pretty flowers and the boxes were big enough so people could sit on the edge and rest under the roof from the hot summer rain. The breeze would blow and it was nice. After I left, the superintendent put barbed wire on them so that people couldn’t sit on them and I about died. I liked teaching, but the first year I was overworked. I’d teach all day and then after four o’clock I had to help the group of girls sew uniforms for the school, and that made it just too hard and too long. But after I begged out of the, I guess it wasn’t so bad.

      One time a little plane came and we could take a ride over the school, so I rode on this airplane and all I could see as I looked down, was the roofs of houses and the coconut trees. So when I became head of the landscaping committee, I put two big beds of flowers in front of the cafeteria and a big round elevated bed by the builder’s and men teacher’s houses, so when the people flew over the island they would see something besides palm trees and roofs.

      While in Tonga, I taught in the new club, which is like the extension service. I taught the women in the community to make men’s suits. One day, Princess Mautauho came to the class and the women worried about the settee because it was so dusty and dirty. The springs were broken and I told them I would show them how to upholster it. I bought a tack hammer and some rope for the cord. The Princess helped tear the settee apart. I tied the springs tight and the women finished putting the upholstery on. The Princess is a lovely woman. I also met Queen Soleta Tupou. She had a heart as big as herself. She spoke English, as she was educated in New Zealand. She said to me: “you come back to Tonga” but I never did.

      They paid me well in Tonga because I had so many summer schools and so much training and was in my fiftieth year and that was the way they figured my salary. I didn’t know that I was getting more money than the other teachers, because of my experience, until I was getting ready to leave Tonga.
      I came home from Tonga in the middle of winter and had not job, so I went to the “Y” and got my masters degree (see Chapter 6). I filled in for a teacher for six months In Fillmore and also worked on my thesis. I enjoyed it there.
      From Fillmore I went to Tabiona. It was about the worst job I had. I went to this little town in an agricultural valley with desert and unproductive ground all around, not far from Vernal. The city was along the river and in a low valley. The students were so unruly and I neveer was a veery good disciplinarian. It was hard to teach those students and I felt a heavy spirit there. I soon found out that every time the women would meet in a group, they’d gossip and I didn’t like it, so I quit going to their meetings.
      For the Junior Prom at Tabiona, I painted wrapping paper, showing a river scene with trees and cliffs, and it was put on the walls for decoration. I had one person help me and I think it was quite nice.

      I found two friends; one nice woman across the street, whose husband ran the radio tower near Tabiona, who wouldn’t associate with the people there either and then I f

  • Sources 
    1. [S46] GEDCOM File : Alice Ann Kimball Smith 2003.ged, 30 Jun 2003.

    2. [S32] Unknown, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.), Ancestry Family Trees.

    3. [S34] Unknown, and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2010. 1880 U.S. Census Index provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints © Copyright 1999 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. All use is subject to the limited), Year: 1880; Census Place: Hyrum, Cache, Utah; Roll: 1335; Family History Film: 1255335; Page: 156C; Enumeration District: 010; Image: .
      Birth date: abt 1874 Birth place: Utah Territory Residence date: 1880 Residence place: Hyrum, Cache, Utah, United States

    4. [S231] Unknown,, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2004.Original data - United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Twelfth Census of the United States, 1900. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623, 1), Year: 1900; Census Place: Hyrum, Cache, Utah; Roll: T623_31077_4115257; Page: 5A; Enumeration District: 0077; FHL microfilm: 1241682.
      Birth date: Nov 1873 Birth place: Utah Marriage date: 1895 Marriage place: Residence date: 1900 Residence place: Hyrum, Cache, Utah, USA

    5. [S232] Unknown,, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2006.Original data - Thirteenth Census of the United States, 1910 (NARA microfilm publication T624, 1,178 rolls). Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29. National Archives, Wa), Year: 1910; Census Place: Hyrum, Cache, Utah; Roll: T624_1602; Page: 17A; Enumeration District: 0026; Image: ; FHL microfilm: 1375615.
      Birth date: abt 1874 Birth place: Utah Residence date: 1910 Residence place: Hyrum, Cache, Utah, USA

    6. [S192] Unknown,, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2010. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.Original data - Fourteenth Census of the United States, 1920. (NARA microfilm publication T625, 2076 rolls). Records of the Bureau of the Census, Rec), Year: 1920; Census Place: Hyrum, Cache, Utah; Roll: ; Page: ; Enumeration District: ; Image: .
      Birth date: abt 1874 Birth place: Utah Residence date: 1920 Residence place: Hyrum, Cache, Utah, USA

    7. [S164] Unknown,, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2002.Original data - United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Fifteenth Census of the United States, 1930. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1930. T626,), Year: 1930; Census Place: Hyrum, Cache, Utah; Roll: 2414; Page: 11A; Enumeration District: 46; Image: 664.0; FHL microfilm: 2342148.
      Birth date: abt 1874 Birth place: Utah Residence date: 1930 Residence place: Hyrum, Cache, Utah

    8. [S156] Unknown,, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations, Inc., 2012.Original data - United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1940. T62), Year: 1940; Census Place: Hyrum, Cache, Utah; Roll: T627_4210; Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 3-31.
      Birth date: abt 1875 Birth place: Utah Residence date: 1 Apr 1940 Residence place: Hyrum, Cache, Utah, United States

    9. [S35] Unknown,, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations, Inc., 2013.Original data - Black, Susan Easton, compiler. Membership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1830–1848. 50 vols. Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University Religious Stud).
      Birth date: 3 Nov 1873 Birth place:

    10. [S158] Unknown,, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations, Inc., 2010.Original data - Voter Registration Lists, Public Record Filings, Historical Residential Records, and Other Household Database Listings.Original data: Voter Registration Lists, Public).
      Birth date: 3 Aug 1906 Birth place: Residence date: 1935-1993 Residence place: Hyrum, UT

    11. [S170] Unknown,, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations, Inc., 2012.Original data - Find A Grave. Find A Grave. accessed 23 March 2012.Original data: Find A Grave. Find A Grave.
      Birth date: 3 Nov 1873 Birth place: Death date: 22 Mar 1954 Death place:

    12. [S160] Unknown,, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations, Inc., 2013.Original data - Headstone Search. BillionGraves. data: Headstone Search. BillionGraves.
      Birth date: 3 Nov 1873 Birth place: Death date: 20 Mar 1954 Death place:

    13. [S231] Unknown,, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2004.Original data - United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Twelfth Census of the United States, 1900. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623, 1), Year: 1900; Census Place: Hyrum, Cache, Utah; Roll: T623_31077_4115257; Page: 5A; Enumeration District: 0077; FHL microfilm: 1241682.
      Birth date: Jan 1870 Birth place: Utah Marriage date: 1895 Marriage place: Residence date: 1900 Residence place: Hyrum, Cache, Utah, USA