So shall it be with my father: he shall be
called a prince over his posterity, holding
the keys of the patriarchal priesthood over the kingdom of God on earth, even the Church
of the Latter Day Saints, and he shall sit in the general assembly of patriarchs, even in
council with the Ancient of Days when he shall sit and all the patriarchs with him and shall
enjoy his right and authority under the direction of the Ancient of Days.
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]
LYMAN, Clarissa Loomis

LYMAN, Clarissa Loomis

Female 1790 - 1854  (63 years)  Submit Photo / DocumentSubmit Photo / Document

 Set As Default Person    

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name LYMAN, Clarissa Loomis 
    Born 27 Jun 1790  Lebanon, Grafton, New Hampshire, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Female 
    WAC 26 Feb 1844  NAUVO Find all individuals with events at this location 
    _TAG Locked By FS 
    _TAG Reviewed on FS 
    Died 14 Feb 1854  Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 26 Feb 1854  Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Headstones Submit Headstone Photo Submit Headstone Photo 
    Person ID I19160  Joseph Smith Sr and Lucy Mack Smith
    Last Modified 31 Oct 2020 

    Father MAXEY, William Henry,   b. 1 Oct 1708, Goochland, Virginia, British Colonial America Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 27 May 1758, Cumberland, Kentucky, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 49 years) 
    Mother SUBLETT, Mary Elizabeth,   b. 12 Jun 1718, Henrico, Virginia, British Colonial America Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 20 May 1771, Goochland, Virginia, British Colonial America Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 52 years) 
    Family ID F22383  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family SMITH, Patriarch John,   b. 16 Jul 1781, Derryfield, Hillsborough, New Hampshire, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 23 May 1854, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 72 years) 
    Married 11 Sep 1815  Hillsborough, Hillsborough, New Hampshire, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 2
     1. SMITH,   b. 9 May 1816, Potsdam, St. Lawrence, New York, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 10 May 1816, Potsdam, St. Lawrence, New York, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 0 years)
    +2. SMITH, George Albert Sr.,   b. 26 Jun 1817, Potsdam, St. Lawrence, New York, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1 Sep 1875, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 58 years)
     3. SMITH, Caroline Clara,   b. 6 Jun 1820, Potsdam, St. Lawrence, New York, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 8 Jan 1895, Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 74 years)
     4. SMITH, John Lyman,   b. 17 Nov 1828, Potsdam, St. Lawrence, New York, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 Feb 1898, Saint George, Washington, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 69 years)
    Last Modified 27 Apr 2021 
    Family ID F4117  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 27 Jun 1790 - Lebanon, Grafton, New Hampshire, United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 11 Sep 1815 - Hillsborough, Hillsborough, New Hampshire, United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsWAC - 26 Feb 1844 - NAUVO Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 14 Feb 1854 - Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - 26 Feb 1854 - Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend  : Address       : Location       : City/Town       : County/Shire       : State/Province       : Country       : Not Set

  • Photos
    Clarissa Loomis Lyman
    Clarissa Lyman's Grave
    Clarissa Lyman's Grave

  • Notes 
    • Family of Clarissa Loomis Lyman & Patriarch John Smith

      BIOGRAPHY: Written by Charles’ daughter, Zora Smith Jarvis
      Clarissa Loomis Lyman

      Charles Warren Smith, was the son of George Albert Smith, Sr., who was born on the 26th June, 1817 in Potsdam, St. Lawrence County, New York. His grandfather, John Smith was the sixth son of Asael Smith and Mary Duty, and was born on the 16th day of July 1781. He married Clarissa Lyman on 11 Sept 1815. His great grandfather, Asael Smith, was the second son of Samuel Smith, the second, and 19453Guild, and was born in Topsfield, Mass., 7 March 1744, and married Mary Duty, February 12, 1767, daughter of Moses Duty and Mary Palmer.

      Charles’ mother, Hannah Marie Libby, was the daughter of Nathaniel Libby and Tirzah Lord, was born in wooded hills of Ossipee, Stratsford County, New Hampshire on the 29 June 1828. She was one of eleven children, seven brothers and four sisters. Nathaniel Libby was born 22 December 1790 and was the son of Captain Charles Libby who was born 16 December 1749, and Sarah Pray who was born 21 August 1751. He married Tirzah Lord 24 November 1813. Tirzah was born about 1790 in Lebanon, York County, Maine, the daughter of Nathan Lord born 26 January 1756 and Mercy Knox Downs, born 21 January 1755. Charles T grandmother, Clarissa Lyman, wife of John smith, was the daughter of Richard Lyman, who was born 12 August 1757 at Lebanon, Conn., and Philomena Loomace who was born 9. March 1760, in Lebanon, Conn.

      George A. Smith the son of John Smith and Clarissa Lyman, and the father of Charles Warren Smith, was born and raised in Potsdam, St Lawrence County, New York. His grandfather Asae1 and wife Mary Duty, and three sons Jessie, Asael, and Silas were living in Stockholm, 12 miles distance, when grandfatherAsael received a letter from his son Joseph Smith Sr. stating that his son, Joseph, had several remarkable visions. Receiving this news the old gentleman said, that he always knew that God was going to raise up some branch of his family to be a great benefit to mankind.
      Patriarch John Smith son of Asael Smith

      When George A. was in his 12th year in August 1828, Uncle Joseph Smith Sr. and son, Don Carlos, visited all of his father, Asael's children and their families, and brought copies of the Book of Mormon to them. He visited his brother John first, who took him in his carriage to visit their father, Asael, who was in his 88th year and quite feeble. On receiving the Book of Mormon the old gentleman read the book nearly through without the aid of glasses before he died and had said: “It is of God.” While they were gone George A. and his mother busied themselves with reading the Book of Mormon. George A. listed a number of points to disprove the book and show his uncle Joseph the error of his claims, but on his return Uncle Joseph was able to answer them so convincingly and with such power, that George A. never again doubted the divine origin of the Book of Mormon.

      His mother was the first member of the family to accept the Gospel and was baptized in September 1831. His father, John, who had been quite indisposed for many months and hadn't been able to walk as far as his barn, was baptized by Elder S. Humprey, 9 January 1832. George A. writes “The day was bitter cold, when I cut the ice in the creek, and broke a road for forty rods through the crust of two feet of snow, and helped him to the creek to be baptized. That night Father had a vision of the Savior entering his room and looking upon him with a smile. The next day Father visited his barn.”

      George A. was baptized on the 10 September 1832, by Elder Joseph H. Wakefield and confirmed by Elders Soloman Humphrey and J. H. Wakefield. After joining the church the family suffered so much persecution they decided to join the Saints in Kirtland, Ohio. In the spring of 1833, John sold his farm and bought two covered wagons with two horses each and with his family which consisted of the father and the mother, daughter, Caroline, 13 years, John Lyman, 10 years and George A., 16 years old, they started on their journey to Kirtland. They arrived May 25, 1833. They were heartily welcomed by Joseph, the Prophet. It was the first time George A. had seen his cousin, Joseph, and he was greatly impressed with him and from that time, Joseph's friends were his friends and Joseph's enemies were his enemies.

      John purchased a small farm of about 27 acres and finished a log house body standing on it. He employed Elder Brigham Young to lay his floors. Then he and George A. cleared 10 acres of land and planted a crop of corn. The next year, 1834, at 17 years of age, George A. was selected by the Prophet Joseph Smith to accompany him to Missouri as a member of Zion's Camp. On 30 May 1835, he went on his first mission, and on his return to Nauvoo attended the School of the Prophets.

      In the Spring of 1836, he received his endowments in the Kirtland Temple. For a time he continued to do missionary work, until the persecution of the church at Kirtland became so bitter that the family left and moved to Far West, later to a town near Adam-ondi-Ahman, Missouri, but the hatred and persecution followed on their trail. It was while visiting the prophet at Liberty jail, Missouri, that Joseph told him of his appointment to be a member of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles. Later he was present at a number of meetings when the Prophet Joseph told them he had given them all the keys of the Gospel.

      Persecution raged so fiercely that John Smith’s family with many of the Saints sought refuge in Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1839. They had lost so much in their many moves that they were in destitute condition. At break of day, 26 April 1839, at Far West, Missouri, George A. was ordained an apostle at the age of 22 years lacking 2 months, under hands of Heber C. Kimball. Wilford Woodruff was ordained at the same time by Brigham Young. These ordinations made a quorum of seven, a majority of the twelve, so they could proceed to dedicate the Temple site. Brigham Young stood on the south east corner stone of the Temple site. The twelve were instructed to take their leave from there for a mission to the nations starting in Great Britain. The Prophet Joseph Smith was still in Liberty Jail.
      George Albert Smith

      The Twelve traveled without purse or script and overcoming tremendous odds, all of them reached England. They were gone 18 months and many souls received the Gospel and as soon as possible, came to Zion, which strengthened the church in Zion. After the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother, Patriarch Hyrum Smith, bitter hatred and persecution raged against the saints in Nauvoo, but in spite of it, President Brigham Young who was chosen to succeed the Prophet Joseph, directed the finishing of the million dollar temple, and many of the Saints as the L.D.S. were called, entered the temple and took part in the sealing powers of the priesthood. Among them were George A. Smith and the two lovely sisters, Sarah Ann Libby 26 years, and Hannah Marie Libby, 16 years. They were married to George A. Smith in polygamy in Nauvoo Temple, and received their endowments 20 November 1845. In the Libby Book on genealogy, page 249 is recorded. “Sarah Ann and her sister, Hannah, while in Lowell Mass., were led astray by the Mormons. They both married in Nauvoo, Ill., George Albert Smith, one of the leaders. He had three other wives.”

      Hannah’s father, Nathaniel Libby, owned lumber mills in Ossipee, New Hampshire, and lived there about 20 years. He moved to Bethlehem where he engaged in lumbering many years. After their father’s death, the girls went to Lowell, Massachusetts, to work in the linen mills. They learned to weave, which proved a blessing to Hannah in later years. There they heard the Gospel message as revealed by Joseph Smith. They were baptized in May, 1844. They left Lowell, Mass. Sept 26, 1845 and arrived in Nauvoo, Ill in October 20th. Finally the continued persecution of the Saints in 1846 became so inhuman that the Saints again had to flee for their lives, leaving homes and crops behind. They crossed the Mississippi River with what they could bring in their wagons and took temporary refuge at Winter Quarters, and later moved to Carbonica near Kainsville, now Council Bluffs, Iowa.

      Grandfather built a log cabin with a dirt roof which was the home for the sisters. He also built cabins for his other wives. His wives, Lucy and Nancy, and children became very sick. Aunt Lucy Meserve lost her baby and Aunt Nancy Clements and four children died. There was so much sickness caused from the type of food they had to eat that scurvy broke out. They didn't have any vegetables at all. There were scarcely enough well ones to care for the sick and bury the dead. George A. directed the planting of potatoes to such an extent, and because they yielded so abundantly and helped to stop the scurvy, he became known as the “Potato Saint” and was so called for many years.

      He left his families and went to the valley with Brigham Young in 1847. After arriving in Utah, he went with others on scouting expeditions to explore and report the country as they found it to Brigham Young, and he also helped on every hand in laying out the new city called Salt Lake, so the Saints could build their homes before winter set in. He also planted a lot of potatoes, the first to be planted in Utah. After building a log cabin for his father and mother who arrived on 21 September 1847 in Salt Lake, he left with Brigham Young to return to Council Bluffs to join his families. John Smith was left in charge of the settlers in Salt Lake. George A. was appointed by Brigham Young to help supervise the migration of the Saints as they came, and left for the valleys.

      On the 18 of September 1848, a heavy rainstorm came up, and in spite of pans and buckets used to catch the rain, it came through the roof. The bed was drenched as Aunt Sarah Ann gave birth to her son, John Henry Smith. She contracted a cold and was never able to care for her baby so her sister Hannah took him to her heart. A bitter cold day 4 months later 16 January 1849, Hannah’s son, Charles Warren Smith, was born. Hannah raised the two boys together.

      In June 1849, George A. started with his own families for the valleys. In this company he was Captain of 50, composed of the first Welch Saints; Myron Tanner, Captain of 10; Apostle Ezra Taft Benson was Captain of 5O; and Elder Silas Richards was Captain of another 50. In October they had a heavy snow storm and it became bitter cold and they would have perished if help hadn't arrived from the valleys. After a journey of 158 days, on the 27th of October at 11 p.m. Charles Warren Smith, 8 months old, and John Henry Smith, one year old, arrived and were welcomed by their grandfather John Smith and grandmother Clarissa Lyman Smith. The sisters and the babies were moved into an adobe room belonging to Henry Bigler.

      In December 1850, George A. was called to lead a volunteer group of 118 to colonize Iron County. He took his wife, Zilpha Stark, with him. While he was away on this mission, Sarah Ann became so very sick, that she gave her son to Hannah. He had already learned to call her “mother". Hannah wrote: ”Sarah Ann passed away on the 12 June 1851. I was all alone with her when she went so early in the morning. She seemed more like a mother to me than a sister, and I looked to her for advice.” During her long illness Hannah tied the boys to the leg of the bedstead with a long bed cord rope, and let them out to play on the west side of the house in the mornings and on the east side in the afternoons, as she had so little time for them. They came to look for the rope when they were dressed in the morning.

      Later in 1882, Pres. Young called George A. home from Iron County to preside over the Utah Stake Settlements, he took Hannah, Aunt Lucy and the two boys to live in Provo. They first lived in one room in Eddison Whipple’s house, then they moved to Jackson Stewart’s home, one room upstairs and one down stairs. Later they moved in a home of their own, a four room adobe house, one block north of the Third Ward meeting house. This was their home for many years. George A. took up farm land and city lots on the east side of Provo. His families were scattered and he was continuously away on church duties, so Hannah had the full responsibility of raising her children who were:

      Charles Warren Smith, born 16 January 1849, Council Bluffs, Iowa, died 25 January J.903.
      Sarah Maria, Born 1 January 1856, Provo, Utah, Married Byron Colton.
      Eunice Albertine, Born 6 March 1860, Provo, Utah died 4 October 1861.
      George Albert, Born 7 April 1862, Provo, Utah, died 28 Oct l863.
      Grace Libby, born 14 May 1865, Provo, Utah, married Joseph E.Cheever, 12 June 1889, died 1948.

      After Charles Warren grew to manhood and married, Hannah sold her home, and used what money it brought to help pay the lovely six room brick home that Charles built for her. Lucy was George's 2nd wife, Bathsheba W. Bigler was his first wife. Lucy lived with Hannah because she had lost her babies, until the boys married, then she had a home of her own in Salt Lake City. Charles said many of the best things in life he owed to Lucy. She was always looking out for his welfare, as Hannah always made her sister's son first in everything. Lucy's picture always hung in our home. Hannah was a very hard working woman. After her housework was done she either combed wool or spun. In this the children helped by picking out burrs, and pulling wool apart. You see the wool was brought to her as it was cut from the sheep's back. They had to wash their own wool too.

      Hannah and Lucy worked so much alike that it was difficult to tell their work apart. They were diligent and industrious, when one was weaving the other knit stockings. These two pioneer women wove many beautiful bed spreads, tablecloths, window curtains in beautiful designs, linen sheets, and of course, ticking for their beds. They pieced many beautiful quilts. They wove wool cloth for dresses, also men's suits. They made hoods and capes, wove cloth for underwear. They sewed by hand and oftentimes by candlelight. They made dye of bark and leaves which the boys gathered for them. Grandmother cried when she got her first sewing machine.

      Hannah used to take Charles to the field to gather long straws of oats that hadn't been cut with the scythe. They carried bundles home and placed the straw in water. When it was all soaked they would braid it and sew it, they would steam this ”Contraption,” as Father called it, then press it into the shape of a hat. Charles wore such a hat for years. He also wore shoes his mother made from jeans, a cloth she wove, then he wore buckskin moccasins, and what a happy day when he got his first calf skin boots.

      Hannah, Lucy and the boys took the necessary utensils and went among bushes to get the honey dew. They cut bows and washed the flakes into the tubs, strained the sap, and cleansed it with milk and eggs and skimmed it as it boiled down. They had seen their parents boil the maple juice in their New Hampshire home. One fall they had 50 pounds of nice sugar besides having a lot of molasses for pancakes and candy for the children.

      Hannah was kind and thoughtful. She always remembered each grand child with a gift on their birthday, and at Christmas. One day Hannah and Lucy asked Hannah’s daughter, Sophronia, if she wanted them to make her some mittens and wristlets for her birthday. Sophronia replied, “No, thanks, but I would like you to knit me some white stockings with pink rosebuds and green leaves in them, like Esther Gee has.” “You do, You do”, they replied. Their needles began to fly on some dark blue yarn, and they said they were mittens for Father, so she concluded she wasn't going to get them. However, on her birthday grandmother brought her a parcel which contained one white mitten, one white wristlet, and one white stocking, with those precious rosebuds and green leaves. The mail brought the mates from Lucy who was in Salt Lake City. How she treasured those stockings.

      The last gift Hannah gave in this life was a set of silver knives and forks to granddaughter, Zora, just a few hours before she died. She gave each of her granddaughters a lovely designed red and white quilt with exquisite quilting done by those dear pioneer friends of hers.

      Charles Warren Smith (19 years), married Isabelle Martin (16 years) on the 5 October 1867, in the Salt Lake Endowment House. They lived with his mother till their first child, Hannah Isabelle, was 6 months old then they moved into their first home. Isabelle was born 8 August 1851, in Salt Lake City. Hannah Isabelle, their first child was born 26 November 1869, in Provo, Utah. She married Raymond Oscar Knight, She had great faith in the Gospel and took an active part in all auxiliary organizations of the church. They made their home in Raymond, Alberta Canada. At the time of her death which occurred while visiting in Provo, 23 Sept 1906.

      In the spring of 1870, Charles finished their first home. It was a large adobe room. He hauled rock for the foundation and also the clay, and made the adobes himself. He exchanged work to have it laid up, but he did a great deal of the building himself. As the years flew by and the family increased, many additions were made to the house. In winter 1889-90 Isabelle's great uncle, Milton Bliss (who never joined the church), came to visit his sister who was Isabelle’s grandmother, Eunice Sibley Bliss Moore. He liked Isabelle and Charles on first meeting and they made him welcome, so he made his headquarters in their home. He was a good carpenter, he remodeled Isabelle’s kitchen and pantry; put a porch on the north side of the house, and a portico on the east side of the house. He made many children's playthings for the children. This was the home where the rest of Charles’ and Isabelle's children were born and raised.

      Sophronia Lydia was born 8 February 1871. She married Ether Record Brimhall. She was the mother of 13 children, she raised 8 sons and four daughters. She died 30 April 1943. Six Bishops she had worked with were at her funeral.

      Lucy Meserve born 20 September 1873, died 24 March 1880.
      Tirzah Libby born 13 March 1876, died 4 April 1881.
      Jessie was born 14 May 1878; she married Sidney St Vrain LeSieur, the father of her seven children. Second husband was Joseph Thatcher.
      Ethel was born 12 January 1880; She married Perry Gardiner Snow. She accomplished a marvelous work in genealogy. She died 6 September 1940 in Salt Lake City.
      Zora was born 14 September 1881. She married Brigham Jarvis Jr. She is the mother of 8 children, 3 died in infancy. she has been active in the L. D. S. Church.
      Charles Warren, only son, was born 6 July 1884, died 18 September 1884.

      Father married second wife, Esther Martin, Isabelle’s half sister. They were married 15 June 1881, in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. She was the mother of six children, and was been a loving devoted mother to them. She was born in Lehi, 15 April 1862, and died 20 February 1948, in Salt Lake City.

      Lillieth was born 7 December 1885, She married Herbert Van Dam and to them have been born 14 children, 3 of whom have fulfilled missions for the L.D.S. Church and all have received a college education.
      Warren Leland Smith, born 24 November 1891, died 10 March 1950.
      Edzrus, born 9 November 1893 and died 18 February 1909.
      John Henry, born 21 February 1895.
      LeRoy Bigler Smith, born 12 October 1900 married Eva Kropf Salt Lake City 1 May 1930, died 10 June 1952.
      Esther was born 17 May 1903 four months after father's death. Married George Michael Brown.


      Charles grew up in Provo, and here was the spot he loved best on earth. He accumulated a host of friends. He was sent to the schools in Provo, such as existed at the time. He was a student all the days of his life as he read extensively and remembered what he read. He was a good reader and often read to the family at night. His children always loved to hear his voice. It was characteristic of him to remember the thought and page of a book he left off reading, no matter how many days or months elapsed before he could continue his reading. He loved poetry and learned long poems which he liked to recite. He seemed to get a big message out of Hood's “'B'bridge of Sighs”, “One More Unfortunate,” "Weary of Breath”, "Rashley importunate Gone to her death,” etc. He said it gave him the feeling of not judging our fellow man, but leaving that to God. He was one of the first to donate books for a public library in Provo City. He kept the best books in his home and took the Church papers and magazines.

      Isabelle was in Provo the winter of 1805 living with her grandparents Samuel Moore and wife. Charles saw her the first day she came to school standing with a crowd of girls. He said to himself “There stands my future wife.” Charles was a very strong man and took heavy responsibility at an early age. He felt that he must look out for his mother's welfare and did so as long as she lived. When he herded cows with the boys he filled his dinner pail with Sego roots to take home to the family. His mother was really delighted when he found mushrooms and watercress. He went "ground-cherrying", as it was called, with the neighborhood boys and girls, and loved ground-cherry preserves all his life, He brought home rabbits and ducks, and long strings of fish out of Provo River.

      When grown, Charles was 6 feet 2 inches in his stocking feet. His greatest weight 235 pounds and average weight 190 pounds. His hair was light brown, his penetrating eyes were blue, but at times looked like the color of violets. Although he did the hardest kind of work, his hands were usually soft and smooth. His arm reach was about 1 1/2 inches longer than the average man. He wore a number 9 shoe. His face was rosy most of the time. He was good company, a friendly smile came easily to brighten his face. Charles was put to farming at a very early age, and was considered a good farmer, as his crops yielded abundantly. Harvest time was a very busy and exciting time at his home. Besides the farm crops, of grain, hay, potatoes, squash and corn, there would be many bushels of apples and winter pears. From this harvest, Charles made many trips to Salt Lake to take provisions for the folks up there.

      Charles had the greatest respect for his father’s wives, and there was a very deep affection between himself and his half-sister Bathsheba Smith Merril. She was the only daughter of grandfather's first wife Aunt Bathsheba Bigler Smith, who had lost their only son George Albert Jr. when he was killed by Indians. On many occasions after it was dark Charles would go out to the granary and cellar, throw a sack or two of potatoes, also sacks of flour and other provisions in his wagon and drive off and only be gone a few minutes, and when he came back the wagon was empty. He hauled wood out of the canyons when he was far to young to hazard such trips. They had to have wood so he got it. That was characteristic of him throughout his life. What he saw needed to be done, he did, and felt cheerful in doing it.

      In early childhood days, Charles had a contract to get logs out of Provo Canyon to make into lumber. His family spent a number of summers living in a little log cabin he had built for the purpose, so Isabelle could cook for him and the hired men. His children loved this wild life. While Charles was working there, he secured two large poles, and took them home and made a large swing.

      February 5, 1872 he was Justice of the Peace and married many couples during this period. He helped dig every canal in Provo in his day. He donated to all public and church buildings. He hauled rock for the Utah Stake Tabernacle and donated a forty gallon barrel of molasses, also much time in labor and money until it was finished, he hauled the second load of rock for the Brigham Young Academy. George Bean drove in ahead of him with the first load.

      In his later life he left off farming and became a builder and contractor of houses, many of which stood more than sixty years before they were replaced by the modern tear-down and build-up spirit that swept everything before it. Charles invested heavily in a foundry, losing all his investment which made it hard for Esther's family in the years following his death, and all of the younger girls had to work for their own education.

      Charles received a Patriarchal Blessing from his grandfather John Smith, when he was four years old. There were many promises made to him and his family. He had great faith in the Mormon Church and attended all the different organizations. He attended the first Sunday School held in Provo. He was baptized a member of the L.D.S Church in the year 1856. In the spring of 1865 he visited his father in Salt Lake City who took him to the Endowment House where he received his endowments. He was ordained an Elder, 17 March 1865, by his father, George Albert Smith and Lorenzo Snow. He was made President of the Elder's Quorum of Provo with Vern Holiday first counselor, Erastus Snow, second Counselor and Deurmesk Snow, Secretary. He was ordained a High Priest and set apart as a High Counselor of Utah Stake of Zion, under the hands of George A. Smith, Brigham Young, D. Wells and George Q. Cannon at a conference held 20 August 1871 at Provo Utah, George A. Smith. He was released January 19, 1884.

      He had great faith and the gift of healing. His children always asked him to administer to them when they were sick. Charles was psychic at times and foresaw events to come. Charles had the spirit of Temple work. He spent the winter of 1874 in St George working on the St. George Temple. He donated money and much labor to the Salt Lake Temple. He donated money to the Manti and Logan Temples. He spent time in the Salt Lake and Manti Temples doing work for his kindred dead. He spent part of the winter of 1889—90 with his mother and sister Sarah in the Manti Temple, commencing to work on the Libby (his mother's father's line) and the Lord (his mother's mother line). Among others he was baptized for his grandfather, Nathan Lord.
      Tributes Given to Sophronia Brimhall for her father, Charles

      1. President Johns of Utah Stake said;

      “Sister you have a great father. He is a man of God, but human, he paid his tithings and offerings, so he has a great amount of credit with the Lord. I know none with greater faith than your father and his wife Isabelle. When he was stricken with pneumonia, he was snatched from the grave. One night as I lay in bed I saw his father George A. Smith, who is dead, in my room looking at me. Just then I heard a knock at the door. I found I was wanted to administer to Charles. Brother John stayed all night at our home. Father began to get well, and lived to become the father of seven more children.

      2. President Joseph B. Keeler said:

      “I was ordained an Elder By Charles Warren Smith and Vern Halliday, Charles being mouth. I have the greatest respect for your father, he was an all around good man. He gave of his means to the Elders who went abroad on missions. He fed the widows and orphans. I don’t believe any man went away from his house without being helped if they were in need and he knew it.”

      3. Brother Nelson Johnson, one of father's life long friends said:

      “We worked together for 15 years, and I never knew your father to speak an untruth and I never once heard him swear, He was always on time and encouraged the rest of us. He studied continually and often foresaw the future, he had great faith when he administered to the sick.”

      All of his children appreciate the heritage he gave us as our father. He, instilled in our hearts a strong faith in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the desire to live according to its teachings.

      Father died January 25, l9O3 of a heart attack in Salt Lake City. He was buried in Provo City Cemetery four days later.
      In 1947 there were 1000 descendants of Great Grandfather John Smith that were members of the L.D.S. Church.

  • Sources 
    1. [S762] International Genealogical Index(R), The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, (Copyright (c) 1980, 2002), downloaded 17 Sep 2009 (Reliability: 3).

    2. [S1091] International Genealogical Index(R), The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, downloaded 17 Sep 2009 (Reliability: 3).