So shall it be with my father: he shall be
called a prince over his posterity, holding
the keys of the patriarchal priesthood over the kingdom of God on earth, even the Church
of the Latter Day Saints, and he shall sit in the general assembly of patriarchs, even in
council with the Ancient of Days when he shall sit and all the patriarchs with him and shall
enjoy his right and authority under the direction of the Ancient of Days.
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]
SMITH, Silas Schellinger

SMITH, Silas Schellinger

Male 1822 - 1892  (70 years)  Submit Photo / DocumentSubmit Photo / Document

 Set As Default Person    

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name SMITH, Silas Schellinger 
    Born 6 Jun 1822  Stockholm, St. Lawrence, New York, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 2
    Gender Male 
    WAC 28 Jan 1846 
    _TAG Reviewed on FS 
    Died 11 Jun 1892  Meadow, Millard, Utah Territory, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 2
    Buried 14 Jun 1892  Meadow, Millard, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Headstones Submit Headstone Photo Submit Headstone Photo 
    Person ID I37110  Joseph Smith Sr and Lucy Mack Smith
    Last Modified 19 Aug 2021 

    Father SMITH, Asahel,   b. 21 May 1773, Windham, Rockingham, New Hampshire, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 Jul 1848, Wapello, Louisa, Iowa, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 75 years) 
    Mother SHELLENGER, Elizabeth,   b. 1 Dec 1785, Chatham, Hartford, Connecticut, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 14 Oct 1846, Wapello, Louisa, Iowa, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 60 years) 
    Married 21 Mar 1802  Royalton, Windsor, Vermont Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F9425  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 1 ORTON, Elizabeth,   b. 1 Jun 1826, Lebanon, Clinton, Illinois, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 27 Nov 1902, Meadow, Millard, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 76 years) 
    Married 9 Feb 1844  Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
     1. SMITH, Silas Marion,   b. 17 Apr 1845, Montrose, Lee, Iowa, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 20 Oct 1898, Meadow, Millard, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 53 years)
     2. SMITH, Julia Elizabeth,   b. 29 Jul 1847, Cartersville, Pottawatomie, Iowa, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 28 Oct 1878, Leamington, Millard, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 31 years)
     3. SMITH, Fredrick Asael,   b. 24 Jan 1850, Kanesville, Pottawattamie, Iowa, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1850, Kamesville, Pottawattomie, Iowa, United States Find all individuals with events at this location
     4. SMITH, Mary Jane,   b. 17 Jun 1853, Provo, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 5 Jan 1917, Spring Glen, Carbon, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 63 years)
     5. SMITH, Prince Henry,   b. 20 Oct 1858, Provo, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 28 Nov 1922, Castle Gate, Carbon, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 64 years)
     6. SMITH, Franklin D,   b. 29 Dec 1862, Provo, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 16 Nov 1924, Wilford, Fremont, Idaho, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 61 years)
     7. SMITH, Vienna,   b. 16 Jun 1864, Provo, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 17 Aug 1874, Meadow, Millard, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 10 years)
     8. SMITH, Martha Eliza,   b. 8 Oct 1869, Meadow, Millard, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 19 Jul 1956, Price, Carbon, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 86 years)
    Last Modified 24 Jan 2022 
    Family ID F20662  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 ORTON, Sarah,   b. 13 May 1830, Pottawattamie, Iowa, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 11 Dec 1912, Fairview, Lincoln, Wyoming, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 82 years) 
    Married 9 Feb 1858  Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
     1. SMITH, Prince William,   b. 2 Aug 1859, Provo, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 16 Nov 1909, Fairview, Uinta, Wyoming, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 50 years)
     2. SMITH, Alexander Randolph,   b. 23 Dec 1861, Deseret, Millard, Utah Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 10 Sep 1865, Deseret, Millard, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 3 years)
     3. SMITH, David Hyrum,   b. 23 Dec 1863, Deseret, Millard, Utah Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 11 Mar 1865  (Age 1 years)
     4. SMITH, Elias,   b. 16 May 1867, Deseret, Millard, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 18 Sep 1942, Afton, Lincoln, Wyoming, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 75 years)
     5. SMITH, Sarah Esther,   b. 4 Nov 1869, Meadow, Millard, Utah Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 7 Nov 1869  (Age 0 years)
     6. SMITH, Alonzo,   b. 5 Apr 1871, Fillmore, Millard, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 24 Jan 1916, Fairview, Lincoln, Wyoming, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 44 years)
    Last Modified 24 Jan 2022 
    Family ID F20663  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 9 Feb 1844 - Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 9 Feb 1858 - Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend  : Address       : Location       : City/Town       : County/Shire       : State/Province       : Country       : Not Set

  • Photos At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.

  • Notes 
    • Smith, Silas, President of the Hawaiian Mission from 1855 to 1857, was born June 6, 1822, in Stockholm, St. Lawrence, N.Y., a son of Asahel Smith and Elizabeth Shilling. He was baptized Aug. 27, 1835, came to Utah at an early day, and was called to fill a mission to the Pacific Isles April 7, 1854. He arrived in Honolulu Sept. 27, 1854, acted as president of the Mission from July 24, 1855, to Oct. 6, 1857, and sailed on that day for home on the ship "Yankee". Elder Smith died June 11, 1892 in Meadow, Millard, Utah.

      In 1860, Silas Smith and his two wives, Elizabeth and Sarah, were living in Utah County, Utah. In 1870, Silas Smith, Sarah (Orton) Smith and Sarah's children were living in Millard County, Utah. "Orten" Smith was living nearby with her children in Millard County, Utah. "Orten" appears to be Elizabeth (Orton) Smith. In 1880, Silas Smith, Sarah (Orton) Smith and Sarah's children were living in Millard County, Utah. Elizabeth (Orton) SMith were also living with Elizabeth's children in Millard County, Utah. Silas Smith died on June 11, 1892 in Provo, Utah and was buried in Meadow, Utah. Sarah(Orton) Smith died on December 11, 1912 in Fairview, Wyoming and was buried in Fairview, Wyoming. Alexander Smith died as a child on March 11, 1865. On November 5, 1890, Elias Smith married Susan Matilda McLatchie. Elias Smith died on September 18, 1942. Sarah Smith died as an infant on November 7, 1869. On August 15, 1900, Alonzo Smith married Ova Elizabeth Collins (born 1879) in Fairview, Wyoming. Alonzo Smith died on January 24, 1916 in Fairview, Wyoming.

      References: 1) 1860 Census, Utah County, Utah
      2) 1870 and 1880 Censuses, Millard County, Utah
      3) Ancestral File, extracted August, 1988

      A Journal of the travels of Silas Smith while on a mission to the Sandwich Islands, commencing May 8, 1854.
      On the morning of the 8th I left Provo City (Utah Territory) the place the place of my residence in company with several Elders who had been called to take a Mission to the Pacific Isles. We traveled in company of Governor Young and Suit, who was then making a visit to the Southern Settlements of Utah, the day was cool and some what stormy. We arrived at Springville at 12 O’clock. Here Governor Young held a meeting with the citizens and gave them much good council and advice. After services were over Brother Stephen Perry kindly invited us to his house where I partook of his hospitality for the night.
      Springville May 9th Morning cool and stormy soon after daylight, several Indians wished to visit our camp asking for Presents, among the number was the noted Squash a Ute Chief. At an early hour the camp started on crossing Spring Creek thence on to Spanish Fork, where we refreshed ourselves and ani­mals. We then passed on to Payson where we camped for the night.
      City of Payson May 10, 1854
      This morning we started out very early, soon after we left our camp ground We crossed the Pateetneat Creek, a small stream that waters the city of Payson, Our course then led over a beautiful rolling prairie in the forepart of the small street called Summit Creek, this place had been forsaken by the inhab­itants, on the account of the hostilities of the Indians which existed during the Indian disturbances in Utah. For this cause the citizens of the City were compelled to forsake their once thriving city and seek asylum in other settlements more densely populated. Where they would be more secure from the invading foe. Soon after we passed this place we crossed the dividing ridge that separates the waters of Juab and Utah counties. We halted for refresh­ment on a small stream of pure water that rises near the foot of Mount Nebo a noted peak in the Wasatch Mountains. After refreshment we passed over a barren tract of land covered principally with sage brush and grease wood the latter seemed to form an excellent shelter for the mountain rabbit who seemed to be the only occupants to the barren waste, At four P.M. we camped near the t city of Nephi having traveled 40 miles. I went to Bro. Edward Harley where I shared the hostility of his roof.
      Nephi City May 11, 1854
      This place is situated on Salt Creek so called from the abundance of salt that is found in the mountains near the head of the stream. This morning Gove Young ascertained that Walker, the Chief of the Utah Indians, was camped on Rattle Snake Creek some five miles from the crossing. The Governor wishing to have an interview with him sent the interpreter with several other persons to the Indian camp requesting them to come down to the crossing and receive some presents. To this the old Chief replied, “If the Governor wishes to see me he must come to my camp.” When the messengers returned and gave this report
      The Governor resolved to visit the camp in person. We hitched up our teams and drove up the Creek and camped near Walker's camp, on our arrival we found the Indians maneuvering around their camp on horseback. They presented quite a warlike appearance. However they soon became quiet and stipulations of peace were entered into. The Governor presented the Indians with 14 head beef cattle, 500 pounds of flour, together with blankets, shirts and of Indian traffic- We remained in camp near the Indians until the morning.
      Walkers Camp Rattle Snake Creek, May 12, 1854
      This morning our people procured several horses from the Indians that had been stolen by them during the late disturbances that had existed between the Indians and the citizens of Utah. We started our Journey, our route led down the creek over a rough and barren country that perhaps was never before trod by white men. In the forepart of the day we crossed Chicken Creek, thence to the Sevier River, where we camped for the night. During the after part of the day, we constructed a raft for the purpose of crossing our wagons over the stream. At sundown we had our wagons all over and on the south east side of the river.
      Sevier River, May 13, 1854
      Morning cool and stormy. The clouds that float on the breeze frequently sprinkle the watery element on the earth in the shape of flakes of snow. Soon after we left our camp-ground, Brother Lorenzo Young's wagon turned over and fell from a precipice of several feet. It produced considerable excitement, but it was soon recovered without any particular damage. Our route during the day led over a succession of hills and valleys. At 12 o'clock we stopped for refreshment on a small stream in Fall Valley. After refreshment we pursued our journey over a rough and barren country late in the day. We crossed the dividing ridge that separated Fall and Fauvant Valleys. While on top of this ridge we had a fair view of the Salt Creek Mountains. Some 70 miles distance as we descended the mountain, the road became smooth, we stopped at cedar Spring in the Pauvant Valley and rested our teams for a short time and then proceeded on to Fillmore City where we camped for the night.
      Fillmore City May 14, 1854
      This being the Sabbath we attended a meeting and heard President Young preach during his remarks we took the liberty to give a man by the name of A.J. steward a tremendous tongue lashing for some misdemeanor of his surveying in the City of Fillmore. In the after part of the day, several of the Twelve apostles spoke, during which they gave much good advice to the people.
      Fillmore City, May 15, 1854
      Morning cool and stormy, some little snow squalls through the day. We started at an early hour, soon after Brother Aaron Johnson's wagon broke down. However it was soon repaired and we were again on the march. After leaving Fillmore we passed over a beautiful country of land, covered with a luxuriant growth of grass which afforded an excellent pasture for the number of herds of cattle and horses that were roaming over the plain in almost countless numbers, during the day we crossed several streams, the principal one was Corn Creek, his is quite a pleasant place and will no doubt be settled and its now wild bottoms be turned into fruitful fields. During the day we passed Dog Valley; so called from the wild or prairie dogs who seem to be the only inhabitants of the valley. We made a drive of 35 miles and camped on Cove Creek in Pine valley for the night.
      May 16, 1854
      This morning quite an excitement prevailed in camp on account of several of our horses being gone. But they were soon recovered and our camp was again under way. We traveled over a broken country of land, crossing several streams and camped on Beaver Creek for the night.
      Beaver Valley May 17, 1854
      Morning cool and frosty; our camp got under way at an early hour. Soon we descended a lofty range of mountains. This is the dividing ridge between beaver and little Salt Lake Counties. This range of mountains or hills is covered with cedar pine and several other kinds of timber common to the western mountains *e we descended into Salt Lake Valley •
      The road became smoother and our teams traveled along with considerable ease. The land in the upper part of the valley is covered with greasewood and sage brush which grows to considerable size. We stopped on a small stream called little Creek and refreshed ourselves and animals. Then proceeded on to Parowan where we camped for the night.
      Parowan May 18, 1854
      Here I found cousin Silas. S. Smith making preparations to accompany us to the Islands spent the day very agreeably in visiting with my friends; in the evening attended a ball.
      May 19, 1854 I spent the day as usual visiting with my friends.
      Parowan May 20, 1854
      Remained in Parowan during the forepart of the day. In the after part of the day, cousins G. A. Smith, Silas S. Smith, Joseph F. Smith and myself left Parowan for Cedar City, our route led over a beautiful and somewhat fertile country. As we passed Summit Creek, I saw a large block house which had been constructed for a place of defense. The building was neatly built and displayed considerable genius in those who constructed it. We arrived in Cedar City late in the evening at which place we camped for the night.
      Cedar City May 21, 1854
      I attended a meeting in the forenoon and heard Brothers Parley P. Pratt and Benson preach. At 12 o'clock Gov. Young and suite arrived from Fort. Harmony where they had been able to make some arrangements concerning the Fort, and were then returning to Great Salt Lake City. After the Governor and suite had passed we repaired to our camp which was then some 5 miles distant. After our arrival in camp, by the request of Brother Pratt, we moved our camp over to Iron Springs; A place so called from the abundance of Iron ore that is found in the vicinity. Here we found plenty of feed for our animals.
      Iron Springs May 22, 1854
      Before starting this morning we appointed Brother H.P. Richards, Captain of the Guard. Our company consisted of the following; Elder P.P. Pratt going to San Francisco; Elder Silas S. Smith, M. D. Merrick, John T. Caine, Silas S. Smith, H.P. Richards, O.K. Whitney, W. B. Rogers, S. B. Thurston, J. A. Peck, S. E. Johnson, Simpson N. Molen, Wm. King, J.A. West, Eli Bell, W. W, Cluff. Ward E. Pack, George Speise, Edward Partridge, J. R. Young, and Joseph F. Smith, all missionaries to the Sandwich Islands. Elder Smith Mills, Mr. Casvalo (a Jew), Foster Patten and Mr. Foot for California. Our train consisted of seven wagons and twenty-four animals. After the organization of the company, we started on our way over the western desert leaving our mountain home with its rich blessings behind us. Our route led over a rolling and some what beautiful tract of land. At twelve O'clock we halted on Penter Creek for refreshments. Here we set on wagon tire and then proceeded on to Mountain Meadow, so called from the abundance of grass to be found in its vicinity.
      Mountain Meadow, May 23, 1854
      This valley is some five miles long by three wide. It abounds with grass and water of the best quality, and is without a doubt quite a pleasant location for a settlement. After leaving this valley we ascended a long and steep hill this is the dividing ridge that separates the waters of Utah from the waters of lower California. The summit of this ridge is covered with pinion pine, cedar and many other kinds of timber common to the western mountains. Soon after we commenced the descent we strike the waters of the Santa Clara. We followed down the stream, crossing it several times. At twelve O'clock we stopped near the stream for dinner, here one of the Piede Indians visited our camp. After
      visiting and resting for a short time we proceeded down the stream crossing it several times at night. We camped near the Santa Clara; plenty of wild oats
      for our animals. Several Piede Indians remained in our camp for the night.
      Santa Clara May 24, 1854
      This morning we started at an early hour and proceeded down the stream some five miles, here we left the Santa Clara and commenced ascending the dividing ridge that separates the waters of the Santa Clara from the River Virgin he ascent long but gradual at or near the top of the ridge we stopped at a lace known as resting Springs. After dinner we again .proceeded on our journey over a rough and rocky road winding our way along down a narrow canyon that leads to the Rio Virgin. During the descent Brother Merrick's wagon broke own and he was obliged to leave it by the way. The load was divided and put into the other wagons in a few minutes we were again under way rolling at a rapid rate which brought us to the bank of the river where we camped for the night.
      Rio Virgin May 25, 1854
      This morning we started down the stream crossing it several times. The road long the bottom is very sandy. The banks of the river are fringed with cotton wood, willow, locust, the banks of the stream vary from three to five rods in width, and are generally very rapid, and in many places it is difficult in crossing owing to the rapid current. The bottom abounds with grass and wild oats were found in abundance along the bottom. We traveled down the stream some 15 miles and camped for the night.
      Rio Virgin May 26, 1854
      Continued our course down the stream over a heave range of sandy road, during the day we crossed the stream some 12 times. Today we found the bottom somewhat wider as we passed down the stream. We saw occasionally a small field of corn that was cultivated by the Piede Indians. In the after part of the day we found the face of the country covered with a kind of bush somewhat similar to the red currant; the fruit was quite palatable. Some of our company ate freely of the fruit, although it was pleasant to the taste, still it produced an unpleasant sensation in the system acting as a cathartic. Still it will no doubt prove beneficial to them in cleansing their systems and preparing them to inhale the pure air of California.
      Rio Virgin May 27, 1854
      Here we left the Virgin to cross over to the Muddy, after leaving our Campground for the first miles the road was very sandy the face of the land covered with grease wood, and sage brush. On leaving the bottoms we ascended a tremendous hill, although our wagons were light we were obliged to double teams -to get up the steep and craggy bluff. When we arrived at the top the road became smoother and the teams seemed to travel with more ease late in the afternoon; we struck the Muddy where we camped for the night.
      Valley of the Muddy May 28, 1854
      The Muddy is a small stream of pure water that drains a beautiful fertile valley and empties its waters into the Rio Virgin. We remained in camp until 4 P.M., during which time some of our party visited an Indian Village some four miles from our camp. The Indians received them kindly and expressed a desire to have the whites come and settle in their midst and learn the manners and customs of a civilized life. They have already made considerable advancement in the cultivation of the soil. Wheat is raised in abundance by them as well as corn, beans, melons, and squashes and many other kinds of vegetables that they have obtained from the traveling community as they were passing through They have a rich and fertile country, the climate being warm affords facilities for planting for planting and sowing at all seasons of the year; hence we saw wheat in all stages of cultivation. In the after part of the day we filled our water barrels and started across a portion of the desert a distance; of 52 miles. For the first ten miles our route led over rough and .sandy country
      Then we arrived at the top of the Highlands, the road became smoother and the ? with ease and the face of the country is generally barren with the exception of a small quantity of bunch grass that is found in small quantities in the desert at 12 O'clock we called a halt and rested our animals for a short time. We then pursued our journey over a barren country of land covered only by a little grease wood.
      Western Desert, May 29, 1854
      This morning when the sun rose and spread it's brilliant light over the desert it found us in sight of the Las Vegas toiling along over Uncle Sam's domains which was ceded to him by Mexico at the expiration of the late war. At ten A.M. we arrived at the Vegas and camped on a beautiful green, where from the appearance of the goods and shambles that were left on the ground one would conclude that it had been occupied as a camp ground for many years. We remained in camp for the remainder of the day resting our animals.
      Las Vegas, 30, 1854
      This morning we started at an early hour; we followed up the stream some four miles. We then stopped and took a refreshing bath in a large spring at the head of the Vegas. This spring is one of the many curiosities that the travel traveler beholds while passing over the Western Deserts. It is nearly round and to all appearances is quite shallow. This we found to be a mistake not being able to find bottom while we were bathing in .it. The spring is perhaps 30 or 40 feet in diameter and the water is so buoyant that a man will not sink below his shoulders. A person can walk erect in the water from one side of the spring to the other without sinking below his arms. After leaving the springs our route led over a rough and barren country with little or no veget­ation; at night we camped at Cotton Wood Springs.
      Cotton Wood Springs May, 31, 1854
      This morning we got an early start, as we left the springs we ascended a Long and rugged hill. The rise continued for some miles (12 miles), at or near the top of this rise we found Colonel Reese with a train of merchandise bound for Utah territory. His men and teams were very much worn down in consequence of the length of time that he had been crossing the desert; his provisions had become almost exhausted. We sold him some flour for which he paid us in groceries for which he charged us $3.00 for tea and a $1.25 a pound for sugar. The latter had already been prepared for market and the usual quantity of sand had been mixed with the sugar. The only question with me was why the Colonel should mix it in California when there r was plenty of sand in Utah which would obviate the necessity of hauling it across the desert. At 4 P.M. we started out on the desert, for the first four miles our road was good, we then turned to '1 the left taking what is called Reece's cut off. This road is said to be far better than the other one if this is the case, I hope that he who rules the distances of men will guide my- feet in other paths, for I have no desire to become acquainted with any more destructive on man or beast. As the one that is called Reece's cut off. At twelve O'clock we stopped and tied up our animals and remained until daylight.
      Western Desert, June 1, 1854
      At the approach of day we started again on our journey, we crossed the bed of several dry creeks and in vain did we search for water along their sandy beds. At three P.M. We came to Kingston Springs so called by the man who first discovered them. Here we camped for the night; we drove our animals some two miles to get forage. These springs afford sufficient water for camping purposes
      The water is not very palatable, it being strong impregnated with Iron and sulphur.
      4? Kingston Springs June 2, 1854
      At this place we met with a company of men who had been exploring the Colorado for gold. They gave a very unfavorable account of the country and their travels. We remained in camp until 4 P.M. and then started our journey leaving Bro. Canes' horse and Mrs. Patten’s wagon after leaving the springs we traveled some 12 miles and struck the old road. This we found much better and our teams traveled with more ease. Soon after we struck the old road we camped for the night.
      Western Desert June 3, 1854
      As the sun rose it found us on our way toiling along the barren plains of New Mexico. As we passed along the road we saw several wagons that had been deserted by their owners, we also found almost every description of furniture scattered along the plain. The air was strongly impregnated with stench from the dead cattle that lay in great number along the plain. At 12 - 0 clocks we arrived at Bitter Springs, here we found the water better and more agreeable We gave our animals water and drove them three miles to feed.
      Bitter Springs June 4, 1954
      Remained in camp in the fore part of the day. In the evening we took our line of March across the last part of the desert. This route we found to be better and our teams traveled with more ease than they had while crossing the former deserts. We traveled all night and arrived at the Mojave soon after daylight, and made camp in a beautiful cottonwood grove.
      Mojave Creek June 5, 1854
      This is a very pleasant camping place, plenty of water, and grass; the stream is fringed with cotton willows which form an excellent shelter for animals as they graze along its margin. At 4 P.M. we hitched our teams and drove up the stream some 8 miles and camped for the night with plenty of grass and water/
      Mojave Creek June 6, 1854
      This being my 32nd birthday, I arose early and prepared to celebrate the ushering in of a new year in the history of my life. Our camp was soon in • ' - < motion and we were tramping the sandy bottoms of the Mojave. We traveled up the stream some ten miles and camped for the night in a beautiful grove of cottonwood trees.
      Mojave Creek June 7, 1854
      This morning cool and windy, we continued our course up the stream on a very sandy road very little water is to be found. However we obtained plenty of water by digging in the bed of the creek. Cottonwood, willow, and, sycamore are found along the barren bed of the stream in small quantities, The land is barren and desolate, scarcely any vegetation is to be found, except on the banks of the stream. After a travel of 12 miles we camped for the night, plenty of wild clover for the animals.
      Mojave June 8, 1854
      This morning we started very early, traveled up the stream to the last of upper crossing. Here we filled our water vessels and prepared to ascend the Sierra Nevada Mountains, whose snow capped peaks we could see spread out be­fore us. After leaving the stream we ascend a long and gradual rise winding our way to the Lajone Tabs. The land as we passed along was covered with prickly cactus trees, some of them growing to the height of 25 or 30 feet. The country is very barren, scarcely any vegetation to be seen along the route Near the top of the Summit we halted for a short time and rested our animals. We soon got underway again and in a few minutes we found ourselves on the top of the Sierra Nevada Mountains and below us we behold many deep rugged ravines that carried the waters of the Sierra Nevada.-down their narrow passages to the Pacific Ocean. We descended a steep and narrow passage which led down through mountains. We traveled some 5 miles and camped on the stream for the
      Sierra Nevada Mountains June 9, 1854
      Started early and traveled down the stream some ~l miles and camped for breakfast under a lofty sycamore. Here we ate the last of our provisions which consisted in the dust of crackers. We remained in camp some three hours and then hitched up our teams and proceeded down the canyon. The road soon became smoother and bench land was covered with a rich growth of grass handsomely decorated with wild flowers of various descriptions. As we emerged from the canyon we beheld the beautiful valley of San Bernardino spread out before our view. The bench land was dotted here and there with herds of cattle and horses that were running in countless numbers on the plain. The lowlands were covered with golden wheat all ready to harvest. This together with cottages along the streams gave evidence that we were fast approaching country where industry was the motto that characterized the people. At 4, P.M. we drove into the city and were hospitably received by the inhabitants.
      San Bernardino June 10, 1854,
      Occupied most of the day looking over the city and surrounding country, the city of San Bernardino is situated on a beautiful rolling prairie in the midst of a fertile valley, dotted here and there with beautiful groves of trees, which form ample shelter for cattle and horses of the valley, in these shady groves they find protection from the King of the day when he soars aloft, and pours forth his burning rays on the fertile valleys of California. In these groves are found the black walnut, sycamore, cottonwood, and willow. The valley is watered by cool and refreshing streams that flow from the Sierra Nevada and wend their way through a succession of hills and valleys till they reach the Great Pacific into which they empty their sparkling waters. The streams are beautifully ringed with many kinds of trees, and their banks are covered with a rich and ardent growth of grass that affords an excellent pasture for numerous herds of cattle and horses that are seen grazing along the rich and fertile bottoms. The climate is warm and healthy. The productions are, wheat, corn, barley, oats, grapes, pears and figs are raised in abundance and many other kinds of fruit that are common to a tropical climate, Garden vegetables of all kinds are grown in abundance, and with industry the valley of San Bernardino might soon be turned into a fruitful field and made to blossom like the rose.
      San Bernardino June 11, 1854,
      This day I attended meeting and heard Bro. Pratt preach a very interesting discourse, in the after part of the day Bro. Amasa Lyman spoke to the congregation. The house of worship was a large adobe building, which answers a double purpose for meeting and schools. After meeting I went to Bro. James W. Steward's house and took supper. Bro. Steward invited cousin Silas S. Smith and myself to make his house our home during our stay in the city. We accordingly accepted the invitation. Late in the evening Bro. Pratt called a meeting of the missionaries and made arrangements for them to remain in San Bernardino for one month, during which time he was to proceed on to San Francisco and make arrangements for our passage to the Islands.
      San Bernardino June 12, 1854,
      This morning Bro. Pratt started for San Pedro on his way to San Francisco cousin Silas S. Smith, Ward E. Pack and myself remained at Bro. Steward's where we made our home until the 4th of July, during which time I received many acts kindness from Bro. Steward and his kind lady, who spared no time nor pains to render me all the assistance in their power to make me happy and comfortable during my stay I employed my time in reading, studying and writing, etc. endeavoring to store my mind with useful knowledge that I might be prepared to fill my mission to the Pacific Islands with honor to myself and to those who called me to labor in the vineyard of my Heavenly Father. While I remained in San Berndino, I made several visits to the Old Catholic Mission as well as to the surrounding country where I found many warm friends who received me kindly and administered to my wants and necessities. From them I received many things to help me on my journey to the Pacific Isles. I hope and trust that those who assisted me may never want for any of the comforts of life nor be deprived of anything that will make them happy and comfortable. And when their earthly career is over, I trust they will receive the reward of the faithful and a rich inheritance in their father’s kingdom.
      On about the 20th of June, cousin Silas Smith, Ward E. Pack and myself made a trip to the top of the mountain with a 4-horse team and brought down a load of surveyors stakes. For this I received $12.00 in store goods, by which means I replenished my wardrobe to a considerable extent .From that time on I employed my time in making preparations for my journey to the Islands.
      On the 4th of July 1854, 1 bade farewell to my friends in San Bernardino and started for San Pedro, a point on the Pacific shore at which place we were to embark for San Francisco. After leaving the city we crossed several streams that drain the water of the valley and carry it into the sea. Our route leads over a level and some what barren plain. We traveled 20 miles and camped at the Cocomungo Ranch for the night.
      Cocomungo July 5, 1854,
      This morning we started early and traveled in a westerly direction. Our route led over a level and rather barren country. We passed numerous herds of cattle and horses that were owned by the Spanish who were former settlers of the country. At 12 O'clock we made a stop on a small stream and rested our animals for one hour. When we again took up our line of march we passed through Montezuma, a small Spanish town situated on a small stream of purer water. After leaving the town we traveled over a barren plain dotted here and there with a Spanish cottage, which if one were to judge from their isolated situation he would come to the conclusion that they admired a life of solitude. Just as the sun was hiding itself in the western sky, we camped near the city of Pueblo de Los Angeles. After a few moments rest I made a small excursion through the city, found it handsomely situated on a beautiful stream of clear water. The houses were mostly built of adobe and after the old Spanish style, with flat roofs covered with a kind of pitch or cement. Pueblo De Los Angeles, July 6, 1854,
      After leaving the city we passed through a very pleasant country; Saw many beautiful farms handsomely decorated with vineyards, shade trees, etc. At 12 O'clock we came in sight of the great Pacific, as we neared the beach the land became very barren. At 4 P.M. we arrived at San Pedro, and stopped at Mister Alexander's.
      San Pedro July 7, 1854,
      This morning several of the Brethren went to work for Mr. Alexander moving a quantity of lumber that had been landed on the wharf. At 12 O’clock the steamship Southerner anchored in the harbor. Brothers Caine, Richards and myself went on board and made arrangements for our passage to San Francisco at 4 P.M. were all safe on board, at seven O'clock weighed anchor and ran out of the harbor. Soon after we got under way some of the Brethren became very sick and deposited their dinner in the briny deep. The rolling and tumbling of the vessel made but little difference with me. I ate my supper as usual and enjoyed my nights rest quite as well as I would have I been on shore.
      Steamship Southerner, Pacific ocean July 8 1854,
      This morning the sun rose clear and spread its brilliant rays over the briny deep with beauty and splendor. The wind heavy and the sea very rough. Our gallant bark bounds along the rolling billows and seems to bid defiance to the wind and waves. Several of the Brethren are sick and they divide their food liberally with the finny race in the water .During the day we passed several
      small Spanish towns situated on the beach. In the after part of the day we saw several whales plowing along through the rolling billows. During the night a dense fog set in and the Captain shut off the steam, and we lay floating on the sea trusting to the mercies of the rolling billows until the sun again made its appearance in the East to lighten the earth.
      Pacific Ocean July 9, 1854,
      Soon after daylight we landed at San Louis Obispo. Here the Captain obtained a fresh supply of provisions and water as well as small increase in passengers During the day we anchored in the near the city of Monterey. This city is situated on a high eminance near the sea shore and has perhaps ten thousand inhabitants. In the after part of the day our vessel ran near the shore and we had a fair view of the California coast.
      Pacific Coast July 10, 1854
      This morning soon after daylight we came in sight of the entrance to the bay of San Francisco Harbor. At 10, A.M. we passed the Golden Gate. The numerous cannon stationed on both sides of the entrance seemed to bid defiance to the advancing foe that perchance might have a desire to disturb the peace and quiet of the city of San Francisco. In a few minutes more we were along side the Pacific wharf, at which place I met with Bro. P. P. Pratt who handed me a letter from my brother Elias. By this letter I received of my family in Provo.
      City of San Francisco July 11, 1854,
      A short time after daylight the fire bells announced that a fire had broken out in the vicinity of the wharf. The fire engines were soon in motion and the people running in all directions. I hastened to the scene of disaster and obtained a convenient situation where I could have a fair view of the fire and see it spread destruction and lay the houses in ruins. While the fire was raging, persons could be seen leaping from the windows into the streets prep­aring to die by falling rather than to be consumed in the flames. After the excitement of the morning was over, I went and took a view of the Brig Rosalind which had been purchased by Nathan Tanner for the purpose of transporting the Saints from the Islands to the Coast of California. The Brig I found to be built after the old English style and if one was to judge too, from its dilapidated state, he would readily come to the conclusion that it was built at or near the time the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock. Through the advice of Bro. Pratt, who was then in action in company with Bro. Tanner, We took our trunk: to the Brig where we were to make our home during our stay in the city. In the evening we held a meeting on board and enjoyed ourselves well.
      San Francisco Lincoln Point, July 12, 1854,
      This morning Brothers Pratt and Tanner came on board and requested us to furnish some means to assist them in making the last payment on the old boat promising that if the vessel did not succeed according to their expectations the money would be refunded, our group furnished them with seven hundred dollars with the understanding that if the vessel did not succeed, we should have our money refunded forthwith, or as soon as it was ascertained that the vessel could not sail for the Islands. Bro. Pratt counseled us to go to work as many of us as could work to advantage and assist in preparing the Brig; And those who could not work on the Brig to cross the Bay to San Jose valley and obtain employment to raise the necessary means to pay our passage to the Islands. . . Brig Rosalind, San Francisco Bay, July 13, 1854,
      This morning several of the Elders (myself included) went to work on the vessel under the direction of Thomas Moss an apostate Mormon. At ten o'clock the Steamship Polynesian sailed for Honolulu. Previous to her sailing the Captain offered to take us to the Islands for thirty dollars each passage. I continued working on the Brig vessel until the 14th of August, during which Mine J
      the circumstances that we were placed j in, at the time compelled us to submit to things that were not very pleasant .Soon after we commenced work it became apparent to everyone, that the man who had been put on board as Captain was not in anywise qualified to act in that capacity. On one occasion while conversing with Brother Pratt, I took the liberty to express my opinion about Captain Moss. Bro. Pratt replied that he thought that the Captain under­stood his business .However, in a short time Bro. Pratt and Tanner came to the conclusion that they would settle up with all the hands that had been working on the vessel commencing with the Captain. Bro. Pratt called on me for a bill of work done by the Elders. I accordingly presented him with a bill of service that had been rendered by our company amounting to $200. 00. This being at the rate of $2.00 dollars per day. He accepted the bill but had not the necessary means to pay the demands. In the meantime the Captain presented his bill which amounted to $800.00 dollars. This extravagant bill produced quite an excitement in the minds of the owners of the Brig. Brother Tanner came on board the vessel and tried his utmost endeavors to reason the case with the Captain but all to no purpose. He was as infallible as the Pope of Rome and his decrees unalterable as the laws of the Meads and Persians. He insisted on the whole amount and threatened to attach the vessel forthwith and sell her to satisfy his demand. A general quarrel ensued in which the Captain and owners participated to considerable extent .However the result was Brother Tanner gave his note to the Captain with a lease son the vessel for $700.00 dollars, by this time our bill of work became a secondary consideration. We all left the Brig. with the except." ion of Bro. H. P. Richards. He remained on board to keep the vessel from being plundered of its valuable stores. The most of the Brethren crossed the bay to San Jose Valley. Cousin Silas S. Smith and myself concluded to take a tour up north of the city and visit some of our friends who were then residing in Sonoma County.
      August 4, 1854,
      Accordingly we took passage on the Steamer E. Corning bound for Petaluma. We left the wharf at 9 A.M.; the wind calms the sea comparatively smooth, and some dead swells rolling on the bay. As we passed the Golden Gate, the soldiers who have command of the station were on duty. Their war-like appearance pres­ented a beautiful sight. Their glittering arms and numerous cannon posted on the battery foretold the dangers that any advancing foe would have to encounter should he enter the bay with any hostile intentions. Soon after we passed a ship direct from China, having on board 500 passengers direct from the Celestial Empire, who I understand were seeking homes in the pleasant vales of California. During the day we passed several homes indented along the bay; the most noted are Benicia and Blackpoint. At 2, P.M. we entered Petaluma, a small town situated at the head of the stream. We took our trunks to Mr. Bassett’s. Here we ascertained Mr. Martin; my brother in law lived here. He lived about 3 miles from town. We concluded to walk out and visit him that evening. Accordingly after obtaining the necessary information, we started out to his house at which place we arrived just as the sun was declining behind the distant hills. Mr. Martin was absent from home. We enjoyed a very pleasant visit with my sister Julia Pricilla Smith Martin. The following morning we returned to Petaluma, at which place, we found Mr. Martin engaged in the Pottery Business. He seemed very glad to see us and closed up his business and returned with us to the ranch. He treated us kindly and we passed the evening very agreeably. The day following he gave us some lectures on spiritualism and endeavored to point out to us
      The beauties of the system and the benefit arising from it.
      We remained in the vicinity of Petaluma some 15 days, during which time we made a trip to the Redwood Mountains where we met Mr. Leffingwell and family.
      He treated us kindly and administered to our wants and necessities, and wished us to remain at his house during our stay in that part of the country. During our stay in Petaluma, I visited several gentlemen whom I had formerly been • acquainted with while living on the plains of Iowa. They all treated me with great kindness and respect. Of the number I will make honorable mention of William Leffingwell, Heman Bassett, Charles Hunt, John Treeman, and Mr. Osdoll formerly of Keokuk Iowa.
      The country in the region of Petaluma is rich and fertile, although somewhat broken, it is admissibly adapted to farming purposes and to me it would be one of the best locations in California. The soil produces wheat of the best quality and all kinds of grain and vegetables are grown in abundance and of superior quality. The hills and lowlands are covered with a heavy growth of pine, cypress, spruce, and redwood. While walking among the lofty pine and spruce that grow to an enormous height. My mind would often revert back to my native home, Stockholm, St. Lawrence County, New York, the land that gave me birth and to the happy days I have spent along those rippling streams that drain the Northern part of the state of New York and carry its sparkling waters through the gulf of St. Lawrence to the Atlantic Sea. Little did I think in those days that my feet would ever tramp the Pacific coast and my eyes be made to gaze along the Sierra Nevada's snow capped peaks that overlook the fertile valleys of California. I remained in the vicinity of Petaluma visiting with my friends until the last of August. I then bade them farewell and started for San Francisco at which place I arrived on the 1st of September. Here I ascertained that the Brig was no nearer sailing than it wag previous to my leaving the city and that the owners had advertised for her sale. The prospect looking very dark for me to get anything for my labor which I had done on the vessel, I resolved to make an attempt to sail for the Islands the very first opportunity. I ascertained that there was a vessel to sail for Honolulu on the 8th of Sept. Cousin Silas S, Smith and myself went and saw the vessel and made arrangements for our passage. We then went and saw Bro. Pratt and he returned us the money that we had previously loaned him, but he could not pay us for the work we had performed on the vessel in repairing her. The day following we crossed the bay to San Jose Valley where we remained until Sept, 6th We then returned to the city, purchased what clothing our scanty means would allow that would be necessary for our journey to the Pacific Isles. On the morning of the 8th of September we got our things on board and prepared to sail.
      Schooner Vaquero, September 8th 1854,
      Left the wharf at 2 P.M. On board of the Missionary brethren were, Elders Silas Smith, Silas S. Smith, Joseph F. Smith, Ward E. Pack, Simpson N. Mollen, Geprge Speiss, Eli Bell, William W. duff, and John R. Young. Sailed out through the channel with a heavy breeze and we soon found ourselves afloat on the great Pacific, bearing away under a heavy breeze that soon left the shore in the distance. At 6, P.M. hoisted fore top and gallant sails and stood headed for Honolulu.
      Schooner Vaquero, Pacific Ocean, September 9th, 1854,
      This morning we were out of sight of land and our vessel bearing away under a heavy breeze. The sun rose with splendor and spread it's brilliant’ rays over the deep. The wind whistles through the shrouds and fills every sail. The Vaquero is bounding along at the rate of ten miles per. hour. Several of the passengers are very sick and they are frequently leaning over the bulwarks extending the hand of liberality to the finny race, by deporting their break­fast in the briny deep.
      Pacific Ocean September 10, 1854,
      Morning clear and beautiful. We are running at the rate of 8 miles per. hour
      Several passengers still sick and the bulwarks of the vessel are crowded to a greater extent than the eating tables. I have this far been able to make my regular visits to the eating table and partook of the edibles in such a way that it has given satisfaction to the inner man.
      Pacific Ocean,September 11,1854,
      Morning cloudy. This morning the passengers were all summoned on deck to answer to their names, and pay their passage, etc. Several warm discussions took"-place between the Captain and some passengers respecting their passage, money bill of fare. In these little disputes, the Captain invariably carried the day and the passengers were obliged to submit to his despotic rule.
      Pacific Ocean, September 12, 1854,
      Morning cloudy, the king of the day is entirely hid from view, during the day we visited a school of porposes who played around the vessel for some time. One of the passengers at last harpooned one and that caused them to leave the vessel in almost an instant.
      Pacific Ocean, September 12, 1854,
      Morning clear and pleasant, the clouds that have been hanging over us have now cleared away and the sun is pouring forth its burning rays on our heads quite to the dissatisfaction of the passengers. The wind has lulled away and the sea if perfectly calm not a breeze to disturb the water as far as the eye can see, all is calm and still.
      Pacific Ocean, September 14, 1854,
      Calm not a swell rolling on the water as far as the eye can scan our gallant bark lay rolling on the water shifting itself from side to side and occasionally making an entire circuit extending its bow spirit to every point of compass. During the day the passengers were seen gathered up in small groups relating anecdotes' that had transferred under their observations in days gone by. The Captain took his seat on garter deck and celebrated the day by shullling the ace, duce and pack, to the tune of five dollars a game. He continued to amuse himself in this way the greater part of the day. Occasionally awaking from his revery and casting his eyes toward the heavens, he would pour forth a volley of curses on the head of him who is said to be the Prince and power of the air. At the same time not forgetting to give the Mormons a liberal spare of his curses. He said if it was not for the devil and the Mormons there would be plenty of wind. The calm continued through the day, not a breeze to be felt passing through the shrouds nor a ripple on the water, as far as the eye could scan. I sat on the deck and viewed the King of the day as it sank behind the western horizon. Scarcely had it disappeared when the moon made its appear­ance in the East and spread its silvery light over the briny deep, and with it came a light breeze that brought the Captain to his feet and the sailors to their posts.
      Pacific Ocean September 15, 1854,
      This morning the trade winds tact ship and stood direct for Honolulu. Up to this time we have been running a direct south course. The Captain says we have now struck the trade winds and if the devil and the Mormons do not interfere, we will have good wind the remainder of the way.
      Pacific Ocean, September 16, 1854,
      Wind continues good and we are running at the rate of 8 miles per hour. The wind continued favorably and the weather pleasant for several days, we continued on our course without anything transpiring to disturb the peace of the passengers or crew, on the evening of the 25th by aid of the spyglass,
      We discovered the Island of Hawaii with its lofty volcanic peaks towering above the sea.
      Schooner vaquero off the Island of Hawaii, Sept.26, 1854
      This morning the Island of Hawaii is in fair view and we are bounding at a rapid rate. In the after part of the day we passed the Island of Maui and Moloki. Late in the day, we had a very pleasant shower which cooled the at­mosphere and made it very pleasant. As soon as the clouds disappeared, the sun shone again on the briny deep and the Island of Moloki presented a very beau­tiful appearance. The water that had fallen during the shower could be seen running down the narrow canyon and pouring into the Pacific Sea.
      Pacific Ocean of Oahu, September 27, 1854,
      This the city of Honolulu was in view. The passengers crowded the deck and were anxiously waiting to set their feet on shore. The natives soon came on board with small boats to convey the passengers on shore. I remained on board and got my breakfast. Then Brother Ward, Pack and myself went on shore. We soon found Bro. Lewis Karns, Johnson, Snider and Woodberry .We repaired to Bro. Lewis's house where we were hospitably received. The natives soon came in to greet us with their Aloha. In the afternoon we went up to the Kings Falls and enjoyed an excellent bath in fresh water. Late in the evening, when the noise and the bustle of the day was over, we met for prayers and enjoyed a good portion of the spirit of the Lord.
      Honolulu Sandwich Islands, September 28, 1854,
      Spent the greater part of the day in Honolulu traveling over the city. This place is handsomely situated on the south side of the Island of Oahu and contains perhaps eight or ten thousand inhabitants, mostly natives, although there is quite a foreign population in the city. The greater part of them are merchants who have emigrated to the Islands for the purpose of obtaining gold and silver, which is probably the only God they worship. There is also another class of people who style themselves as missionaries to the Heathen. This class are living in splendid houses and enjoying every luxury of life. This gives ample proof that they have been successful in fleecing their flock. The streets are narrow and irregular, running almost too every point of the compass. The houses are generally low and of inferior quality, although there are some splendid buildings that would do honor to any of the American cities. There are many beautiful gardens handsomely decorated with shade trees of almost every kind and description. There are also many trees along the streets that form an excellent shade under which the natives sit and expose their fruit and garden vegetables for sale. In these market places I saw oranges, figs, and lemons. There are many kinds of fruit common to the Islands; coconuts, bananas and a certain kind of native apple with a prickly top also found in abundance. Garden vegetables are to be found in markets of all kinds and description. The climate is very warm and were it not for the sea breeze that is continually passing over the Island it would be nearly impossible to travel the streets in the middle of the day. In the after part of the day, I attended a meeting with Bro. Woodberry and heard him preach in the native language.
      Honolulu, Island of Oahu, September 29, 1854,
      Occupied most of the day in writing to family and friends in Utah. In the evening President (of the mission) Lewis called a meeting of the foreign members of the church. The saints came together and we had a very good meeting/ after which the President appointed different fields of labor, as follows Silas S. Smith, Ward E. Pack, George Speiss, and Eli Bell to the Isle of Hawaii; William W. Cluff, John R. Young, to the Island of Oahu ,Joseph F. Smith to Molokai, Simpson M. Molen to Kouwii. My lot fell to Maui and Lanai, where I was to labor under the direction of Bro. Karran who was acting as counselor to Pres. Lewis. After he gave me my appointment, he told me that I was the oldest Elder of the company and the probability was that I would not be able to learn the native language, and my calling would be to assist in the temporal affairs at the gathering place oh Lanai. To this I made no reply but thought that time would prove whether I could learn a language that others could or could not learn. From this time till the 3rd of October I remained in Honolulu making preparations to repair to my field of labor. During which time I became acquainted with most of the foreign brethren in Honolulu and surrounding country.
      Honolulu, October 3, 1854,
      This morning we made arrangements with the Captain of the schooner Hobbit for passage to Moui. I then made the necessary arrangements for the voyage and at 3 O'clock P.M. went on board, the brethren for Hawaii accompanying me. We left the wharf at 4 O'clock. As we sailed out of the harbor the wind blew a fresh breeze and the sea was very rough. The brethren soon became seasick and divided their supper liberally with the finny race. As the sun disappeared in the west the wind lulled away and became calm and our frail bark lay rolling and tumb­ling on the boisterous billows all night.
      October 4, 1854, Pacific Ocean,
      /This .morning- at daylight we .found ourselves still in sight of Honolulu, rolling and tossing on the waves. We lay becalmed the greater part of the day. Late in the evening a light breeze sprang up that carried us along at a slow rate over the rough and boisterous sea.
      October 5, 1854,
      At daylight we were laying off the Island of Lanai, wind calm and heavy swell rolling on the sea. In-the after part of the day we caught a slight breeze that carried us near Lahaina. The natives came off to us with small boats and we went ashore and stopped at Brother Hammond's for the night. Brother Hammond had gone to the other side of the Island to hold Native conferences.
      Lihiana, Moui, October 7, 1854,
      The city of Lihaina is situated on the southeast side of the Island of Moui, It is handsomely ornamented with shade trees and might be made a very pleasant place, and the streets are irregular and run to almost every point on the compass. The adjoining country is rough and hilly. During the day I made some purchases of small articles that I thought would be beneficial to me while living with the natives.
      Lihaina, Moui, October 8, 1854,
      This morning a native arrived from Waituku with a horse for- me to ride to the other side of the Island. He brought me a letter from Brother Hammond requesting me to sometime come over the mountains to Waituku where he was holding conference. I accordingly made the necessary arrangements, and started leaving Brother Joseph F. Smith with Brother Hammond. While traveling over the mountain, my traveling companion kept talking to me in the native tongue. I did not understand the first word or the last of the conversation. I arrived at Waituku at seven O'clock. Upon getting down from my horse, I found that my body was very sore, especially that part that came nearest in contact with the saddle. Here I found Brother Hammond who was anxiously awaiting my arrival. I stopped at the house of Nakela. Here I ate my first native meal, which con­sisted of boiled chicken and poi, nearly the only food used by the natives during the day. I attended meetings with Brother Hammond, the meeting house was well filled, probably 500 persons present. The meeting continued the greater part of the day, when services were over; I retired to rest, very fatigued and weary.
      Wailuku, Moui, October 9, 1854,
      This morning I bade Brother Hammond farewell and started for Kula, a distance of 15 miles, at this place I expect to stop and learn the native language. At 2 o’clock P.M. I arrived at Kula and soon, the natives came flocking in to see the white man. They fetched me bananas, prickly pears (probably pineapple) etc. I ate heartily of the food and relished it well, especially the pears, were very pleasant to my taste. Dinner was soon served and set before me. I t was very good, although not as many kinds of food as I have seen on the table in other lands. However, I was well satisfied and soon laid down to rest, and enjoyed an excellent sleep. When I awoke I found the house filled with natives they soon commenced to talk to me and try to learn me some native words. They would tell me a word and they would speak it after me, IN this way I would learn the pronunciation of the words and then look in my vocabulary book and learn the meaning of the words in English. This new kind of schooling continued until 11 O'clock, when the man of the house offered up a prayer to the great Spirit Ruler of the universe and then I retired to rest, and enjoyed a good night's rest.
      Kula, Omopio, Moui, October 18, 1854,
      This morning I arose from my bed of mats and walked out to view the country thinking to make myself acquainted with the place that is to be my home for a season. Kula is situated on the northwest side of the Island of Moui, and is near the foot of Muana a Kala, the highest mountain on the Island. It is cool and pleasant. The face of the country is covered with lava or pahehoe that has in former days run down in liquid torrents from the mountains. After strolling over the hills for some time, I repaired to the house and ate my breakfast which consisted of roast meat and potatoes. I then devoted the remainder of my time to studying the native language. I remained in Kula till the 18, of October without anything of note taking place.
      I employed my time in peering over my vocabulary and grammar striving to obtain a knowledge of the language that I much desired. I know the Lord helped me. I remained in the house most of the time; my eyes became very sore and painful. It was with great difficulty that I could endure the light of the sun, when it poured down its rays at midday. I spent a great portion of my time in trying to converse with the natives, trusting to a good memory and a quick ear, to obtain that which my eyes would not permit me to learn from books.
      Kula, Omopio, Moui, October 18, 1854,
      This morning I started for Honuala, a distance of 25 miles accompanied by a native who was to act as a guide. Soon after I started I met a native who handed me a package of papers, I soon opened them and found a letter from my wife, One from my brother Elias and one from Edson Whipple of Provo city, Utah, I soon pursued their pages and found they contained good news. My heart was made to rejoice and I felt thankful for the many blessings that the Lord was bestowing on me for our time to him. Then I continued on my journey to Honuala at which place I arrived in safety. The native saints received me kindly and rendered me all the assistance in their power to make me comfortable.
      Honuaula, Moui, Sunday, October 19, 1854,
      Attended meeting with the native Saints and enjoyed myself very well, although I could not understand but little that was said. I remained at Honolulu until the 21st then returned to; Kula, where I remained till the 24th without anything of importance taking place, late in the evening of the 24th Brothers Hammond, Lawson, and cousin Joseph arrived at Kula. I rejoiced to see them and felt thankful to meet with them whom I could converse in my own language. They remained at Kula three days and then returned leaving Cousin Joseph with me.
      We remained together and enjoyed ourselves very well, we improved all our time- in striving to obtain the native language. On the 13th of November Bros
      Henry P. Richards, Washington B. Rogers, Smith B. Thurston, William King, Orson K. Whitney, Joseph A. Peck and John A. West landed at Honolulu. Cousin Joseph and I remained at Kula and the surrounding country until the first of December; we then started for Lahaina a distance of thirty miles, where we found Bros. W.B. Rogers, Hammond and Thurston sick with the Lahaina fever. We remained at Lahaina until the 6th, when we left for the backside of the Island Brothers Bros. Rogers, Hammond and Thurston accompanying us. We arrived at Wailuku late in the evening.
      Accordingly on the 10th of December I sailed for Lanai at which place I found Bros. Green, Karan, and Baker all in the enjoyment of good health. . -Palawai Lanai, December 11, 1854,
      This morning I arose early feeling quite refreshed having enjoyed a good nights rest. This place is situated in a rich and fertile valley surrounded by a chain of mountains that form almost an entire circle the valley is per­haps 3 miles wide by 5 long. The soils rich and fertile and well adapted to the raising of most kinds of vegetables that are grown in a tropical climate. The scarcity of water is the only obstacle that to overcome to make a settlement in the valley. The natives are now compelled to fetch from two to three miles. This no doubt will have a great tendency to retard the gath­ering of the native Saints to this Island, I remained in Lania during which time I made two cisterns, one of which held 340 and the other 680 barrels of water. They were made in the ground welled up with stone and plastered with Roman cement. During-my stay in Lanai I improved all my leisure time, studying striving to learn the native language that I might be able to fill my mission on the Pacific Isles.
      December 15th, 1854,
      This is a day long to be remembered by the Hawaiian people on the account of the death of their King, Kauikiauli or Kamehameha the third. The news of his v death spread with almost lightening spread over the Islands and a general howling or lamentation ensued that perhaps has never been realized since the days of Moroni at or near the hill Comora where the Nephites were destroyed by the Lamonites. The death of this King spread darkness and gloom over the Hawaiian nation. To a greater extent than perhaps the death of any other King since the death of Kamehameha the 1st, who died May 8th, 1819.This noted Chief-was said to be assisted by supernatural power that assisted him in gaining the victory over his enemy during his long and bloody conquest with the Hawaiian people. While subduing them and bringing them under his despotic rule he then reigned as king of the Island until his death. He was succeeded by his son Liholiho who died while on a visit to England, May 2nd 1824, He was succeeded by his Nephew Kauikiauli who reigned as King of the Sandwich Islands for 22 years, and died December 15, 1855.He was the only legal heir to the crown therefore his loss is severally felt and his name will ever be had in honor­able remembrance by every subject of the Hawaiian Kingdom. His remains were deposited in a leaden coffin, Hands only ornamented with gold and silver with the following insertion.
      Kamehameha 111 Hanauia 17 maraki 1813 Mare 15 Diramaba 1854 He 22 Makahiki Kona noho Allii Ana
      His remains were kept in palace guarded by a military force until the 10th of January 1855.He was removed to the Kings sepulcher, escorted by a numerous concourse of people who gathered from the different Islands to witness the internment and to drop a farewell tear over the remains of their beloved Chieftain.
      December 23, 1854,
      This morning Brothers Green, Karran and myself crossed the channel to Lawaina, Maui. During this sea voyage I was made for the first time, to realize the effects of sea sickness. Previous to this I had sailed several thousand miles on the Pacific without experiencing any particular inconvenience from sea sickness. Late in the evening we arrived at Lahaina and put up at Brother Hammond’s where we were kindly received and provided with a good warm supper.
      December 24, 1854,
      Today, Brothers Caine, Partridge, and Johnson arrived at Honolulu. They were the last of our company from Salt Lake City, owing to unavoidable circumstances they had been detained in California nearly six months. But by the blessings of him who rules the destinies of men, they have been able to overcome those obstacles, and are now permitted to join the Brethren in the Lord's Ministry on the Sandwich Isles.
      December 25, 1854,
      I remained in Labaina where I enjoyed an excellent supper that has been provided by the kindness of Mrs. Hammond. Late in the evening Bro. Hammond returned from the east side of the Island. I enjoyed an excellent visit and spent the night very equally in conversation at a late hour; we retired to rest and enjoyed a good night’s repose.
      December 26, 1854,
      'This morning I bid the Brethren farewell and started for Wailukii a dist­ance of 25 miles. The natives furnished me with an animal. Something similar to the one our Savior rode into Jerusalem. However, I mounted him with all the pride of a European Monarch and rode out of the city. My animal soon began to stagger, but not with wine. But with a heavy burden. I alighted from off him and walked for several miles and led the animal. Late in the evening I arrived at Wailukii, where I found cousin Joseph, and Bro. Rogers in the enjoyment of good health.
      December 27, 1854,
      This morning I left Wailukii in company with Bro. Rogers for Kula at which place, we arrived in the afternoon. We found the native Saints feeling well and enjoying the blessings of the gospel, from this time till the first of January I remained at without anything transpiring worthy of note. I employed my time in studying the native language.
      Kula Omopio, January 1st 1855,
      This day commences a new year and if one has to judge from the present prospect, he would come to the conclusion that would be one of darkness and distress, The rain descended in very heavy torrents, the thunders rolled, the winds that passed over the Islands seemed to shake the earth to the very center. The storm continued all through the day without a moment’s cessation. I was con­fined to the house and passed a very disagreeable day. The native houses are made of grass and they will not admit of a fire inside, consequently they are not very pleasant in the rainy season. The storm continued for several days, and I was confined to the house during which time applied my time to the studying of the native language. Endeavoring to make myself acquainted with the manners and customs of the natives as well as their dialect.
      January 11, 1855,
      This day Liholiho or Kamehameha IV was installed King of the Hawaiian Islands. This King is not legal heir to the crown; he is an adopted child of Kuakiauli, the late King of the Islands. Previous to the death of the former King he made his will in which he transferred the Kingdom upon Liholiho, his adopted son. After he had taken the oath he arose and

  • Sources 
    1. [S285] Book of Remembrance (Steven Webster), Steven Webster, (Genealogy including pedigree and family group sheets for Steven Webster) (Reliability: 2), 2 Feb 2009.

    2. [S146] International Genealogical Index(R), The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, (Copyright (c) 1980, 2002), citing microfilm 537183, downloaded 15 Sep 2009 (Reliability: 3).