So shall it be with my father: he shall be
called a prince over his posterity, holding
the keys of the patriarchal priesthood over the kingdom of God on earth, even the Church
of the Latter Day Saints, and he shall sit in the general assembly of patriarchs, even in
council with the Ancient of Days when he shall sit and all the patriarchs with him and shall
enjoy his right and authority under the direction of the Ancient of Days.
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]
EMERY, Henry

EMERY, Henry[1]

Male 1825 - 1881  (55 years)  Submit Photo / DocumentSubmit Photo / Document

 Set As Default Person    

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name EMERY, Henry 
    Nickname Harry 
    Born 5 Aug 1825  Doncaster, Yorkshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Christened 28 Dec 1825  Doncaster, Yorkshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    WAC 31 Mar 1854  EHOUS Find all individuals with events at this location 
    _TAG Reviewed on FS 
    Died 4 Jun 1881  Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 6 Jun 1881  Salt Lake City Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Headstones Submit Headstone Photo Submit Headstone Photo 
    Person ID I52225  Joseph Smith Sr and Lucy Mack Smith
    Last Modified 19 Aug 2021 

    Family ID F25911  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Father EMERY, George 
    Mother RHODES, Francis 
    Family ID F25912  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 1 PARRY, Louisa,   b. 21 Sep 1857, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 17 Jun 1935, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 77 years) 
    +1. EMERY, Joseph Perry,   b. 22 Sep 1878, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 26 May 1940, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 61 years)
    Last Modified 24 Jan 2022 
    Family ID F22230  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 BREWERTON, Elizabeth,   b. 13 Mar 1828, Harworth, Nottingham, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1 Dec 1906, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 78 years) 
    Married 18 May 1851  Kanesville, Pottawattamie, Iowa, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    +1. EMERY, George Rhodes,   b. 21 Jun 1855, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 25 Jul 1922, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 67 years)
    Last Modified 24 Jan 2022 
    Family ID F24229  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 5 Aug 1825 - Doncaster, Yorkshire, England Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsChristened - 28 Dec 1825 - Doncaster, Yorkshire, England Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 18 May 1851 - Kanesville, Pottawattamie, Iowa, United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsWAC - 31 Mar 1854 - EHOUS Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 4 Jun 1881 - Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend  : Address       : Location       : City/Town       : County/Shire       : State/Province       : Country       : Not Set

  • Photos
    Fisher England
    George Wilding and sister Sarah Wilding
    At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.

  • Notes 
    • This story has a lot of grammatical errors and misspellings. This was written in his own words.

      First I will give the names of my progenitors and so show my descent as far as I can. Isaac Emery, who was born on or near the 10th of October, 1763, in Loversall, new Doncaster, County of York, was the 7th son of Frances and Mary Emery. He was married when about 21 years old to a woman by the name of Love Archer, born March 21, 1757 in London, (being put in the London foundling hospital) whose parents she never knew. To them (Isaac and Love Emery) were born the following children: Sarrah (in Balby) on or near the 22nd of March 1784, Mary in 1786, George, August 4, 1792, Thomas January 29, 1795, David near 1800 and died when 2 years old in Balby, near Doncaster, also George, Mary and Thomas were born in the same place. There was also William born between Sarrah and Mary and died as soon as he was born and named.
      The following are the names of the children of the above names Frances and Mary Emery. Thomas who went from England to America; Francis who was married and had some children who were living in Crowle in 1847; David who also lived and had children born unto him; George who was for a time in the army during the reign of George the 3rd, King of Great Britain and Ireland. He was married and had 2 children called Alexander, who died about his 34 year; and George Emery - he died about 1836 in Loversall near Doncaster, County of York, England, where he left his daughter married to one George Hepworth, who was gardener for Esquire Cook of the place. Valentine and Orson who were twins died in their infancy and the 7th was called Isaac, whom I have named in the preceding page. He died on the 3rd of October 1840, also his wife, Love Emery, died on the 5th of February 1837, about the 78th year of her age. Sarrah Emery, the firstborn of Isaac and Love was married to George Buckley and bore him a daughter and called her name Ann. Ann was married to Robert Marsh and bore several children to him. Mary, the second born of Isaac and Love was married to one Hirst of Wakefield and born to him several children amongst whom were George, Benjamin and Rebecca. Benjamin died when about 20 years old, and his mother, Mary, died about the year 1820. Thomas, the 4th born, never was married, but died in London about the year 1839 or 40; and George Emery, the 3rd born, was my father.

      I will now introduce my mother's progenitors. My mother's fathers name was David Rhodes and his father and mother's names were Isaac and Rebecca Rhodes. This David Rhodes married a woman whose name was Fanny Seaton, and she was a descendant of William Seaton as follows: To William Seaton was born Robert Seaton and to him (Robert) were born the above named Fanny, Edith, William, Robert, John and Sarrah. Now to Edith were born Danice and Henry. To John were born Robert, Henry, Charles and Emma. Robert, son of John was married and went to live in Nottingham and died there. Henry was married and went to live in Sheffield, but Charles hanged himself through courtship when about 23 or 24 years old. Emma was married to Richard Crowcroft and bore several children to him. Now Fanny Seaton, daughter to Robert Seaton and granddaughter to William Seaton, was married to the forenamed David Rhodes and to them were born Isaac, Betsey, Frances (my mother), George and Mary. (My mother was born July 7, 1795). After this David died and Fanny was married to William Tyas and bore him Matilda, Maria and Thomas. After this she died. Isaac Rhodes was married and to him were born George, Mary Ann, Elisa and Martha, and David (oldest). Betsey was married to John Brunton and bore to him George, John (who died when about 9 years old), Harriet, Dodson, and Isaac (who was born January 28, 1828 and died August 18, 1847 and Elisabeth.

      When George Rhodes, son of Fanny and David Rhodes , enlisted in the army, being in about 22 years. He died being about 48 years old. Mary Rhodes was married to one Thomas in Liverpool, England, and bore him a daughter. Thomas Tyas was married and had several children. Matilda Tyas was married to James Herring and bore him a daughter; also, Maria Tyas had several children among whom were Frederic and Sarrah Ann.

      Now George Emery, son of Isaac and Love Emery, as before said, was married to the forenamed Frances Rhodes, daughter of David and Fanny Rhodes on the 1st of April 1816. To them were born the following children: Fanny (born April 3, 1818 and died April 4 1820), Isaac (born July 10, 1820. He was put prentice to William Thompson when about 16 years old to learn shoe making, and in July 1841 he enlisted into the 53rd regiment of foot and was sent to Edinburgh Barracks. He stayed there awhile and then volunteered into the 10th regiment of foot and was sent to Fort William, Calcutta, Bengal, East Indies, where he died on December 15, 1844), George (born December 6, 1822 and died November 9, 1837), Henry (born August 5, 1825), Ann (born July 9, 1827 and died September 24, 1828. And second Fanny (born August 27, 1831 and died on September 11, 1831. The pre-named Frances Emery, wife to George Emery was born July 7, 1795 and died September 13, 1831.

      After this George Emery was married to Elisa Hampson, who was born February 17, 1813. They were married December 10, 1834. They were both baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the year 1841. He was ordained a deacon the same year and she was ordained to be a midwife in the year 1845 under the hands of Patriarch John Albiston. They both continued in the church, and on January 17, 1848, sold up their good and removed to the land of Zion.
      I, Henry Emery, son of George and Frances Emery, as before stated was born on August 5, on the fifth hour of the day in the year 1825. At the age of 6 years and 1 month I was deprived of mother by death, and when 6 years and about ½ I was put to the business of chimney sweeping and was at it until I was about 12 years old, at which time I was put to the National School where I was about 2 years. I then left and soon after went to the business of gardener to William Ellison in the town of Doncaster, County of York, England.

      Doncaster, where I was when I heard the fullness of the everlasting gospel preached, on this wise: A man who was by trade a bottle hawker came to the town, and he, by some means or other got into our house, and had a good deal of talk with my second mother. He told her much about the gifts of the spirit. My mother was much delighted with it, and when I came home to dinner, she began to preach to me. I heard all she said, but said little. After dinner I went back to the garden, and I remembered a sermon which I had heard a few Sundays previous treating on false prophets coming in the last days, and if possible should deceive the very elect. Well, I thought these must be they and have come professing to work miracles. I remembered I thanked God a many times that afternoon and spoke to my fellow laborers showing them that it was so, but it was different with my mother. She seemed to rejoice in it and I, having been forbidden to speak at home without being spoken to, did not open my mind; so in a few weeks after a gentleman whose name is Stephen Nixon and who was an elder in the church, came to Doncaster, my mother received him into our house. At night he preached in a room which was occupied by the society called "aitkinites". I went to hear him preach, and he showed that the ordinance of water baptism was to be administered to adults and not to children and that it was to be immersion in the name of Jesus Christ. Whosoever would obey from the heart these things should receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. The next day my mother and several others were baptized and had great joy. I think it would be about the month of August in the year 1841. I could not say anything against the doctrines, but continued reading my Bible. In about a month after this Mr. Nixon came again and brought with him one Mr. Alfred Cordon, during whose stay at our house I was baptized for the remission of sins and in obedience to the commandment of God. I was baptized by Stephen Nixon on August 22, year of our Lord 1841.

      I continued in the church, and on May 7, 1844, I was ordained a Priest in the church even the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints under the hands of the High Priest James Sloan and Elder Edwin Senior. Having now received this authority, I felt more and more my own weakness; nevertheless, according to my day the Lord helped me and I did as well as I could, but yet I know that if I had been faithful, the Lord would have been able to have made me a more useful man; soon or about 15 months after this I received a patriarchal blessing from John Albiston which is as follows:
      Patriarchal blessing given by Patriarch John Albiston on the 19th of July 1845, at Doncaster, Yorkshire, England, upon the head of Brother Henry Emery. My beloved brother, I lay my hands upon thy head in the name of Jesus Christ and by authority of the Holy Priesthood pronounce upon thy head the blessing of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Inasmuch as thou hast joined the true church and given thyself unto the Lord and honored him in the blessed ordinance of baptism thou art a new creature in Christ Jesus in the everlasting covenant with faithful Abraham and his servant in the holy priesthood is witness to thine adoption into the family of kingdom of God. Thou hast a title unto all the blessings of heaven and earth as a joined heir with Jesus Christ who is become thine Elder Brother. Thou has received light and life of the truth given unto thee by the Spirit of God which shall grow up to perfection in the Lord. Thou shalt be blessed with a righteous crown as a due reward unto thee for thy faithful labors wherewith Almighty God, the Father, shall bless thee with laboring for thou shalt become mighty in the truth in pulling down of the strongholds of sin and Satan and be a builder up of the little flock in truth and righteousness out of the treasury of the Lord. Thou shalt be furnished with things new and old. Knowledge shall be given thee and wisdom guide thy steps and in the Lord's own due time thou shalt receive the greater priesthood and be sent out by authority of the Holy Priesthood as an ambassador even in the gathering of scattered Judah and Israel and behold the power of God magnified in the gathering. Thou shalt have many seals to thy ministry and return unto Zion bringing thy sheaves with thee which shall be the crown of thy rejoicing in the day of the Lord: and with the meek of the earth thou shalt share in a blessed inheritance in lands that shall yield their abundant increase flocks and continued herds shall be added unto thee and thou shall have thy vine and olive yards to eat the fruit of them. Thou shalt also be a true worshiper in the Temple of the Lord and behold His glory and be greatly delighted with the assembly of ancient worthy patriarchs and prophets of old and see the ancient of days and sit and behold the glorious coming of thy blessed Redeemer and His Holy angels with him. Thou shalt join the church of the firstborn and live in the great millennium with thy blesses Redeemer. Thou art of the faithful seed of Abraham and I seal these blessings upon thy head in the name of Jesus Christ even so Amen and Amen.

      During the summer I went a good few times to a small village about 3 ½ miles from Doncaster called Levy Tagg to preach the gospel; also, I visited Mattersae several times, a place where Elder Gland Rodger was laboring; also, according to Elder H. Cuerdon's request, to a village about 16 miles from Doncaster called Crowle and preached to which place I went a good few times after to fill up the vacancy of Brother and Elder George Robins when he could not attend. Also, I went once a week for a good few weeks with Elder Gland Rodger to a village 4 miles from Doncaster called Armthorpe where he preached and received opposition, but baptized none, yet there was a brother there named George Smith. (The man who opposed Elder Rodger in Armthourpe was called Field, by trade a tailor and lived in Doncaster). Also, I went with him to West Woodside in Lincolnshire and from there we went to Mattersea and from there to Finningly and from Finningly I went home to Doncaster. On the 23rd day of October the same year I baptized Henry Butterfield who was 22 years old, by trade a chimney sweeper and lived in Doncaster. The next day, 24th I baptized Cordelia Hobson, aged about 50 years, had just come or was coming to live in Doncaster. She had lived in Levy Tagg where her husband worked as a quarry man, but had now got drowned. Therefore, she was leaving. Amy Senior, aged about 9 years, was daughter to Edwin Senior, president of the branch of saints in Doncaster; and Ann Watson, aged about 41 years, was wife of Frederic Watson, plasterer in Doncaster.

      On the 25th of the same month, I baptized Mary Ann Butterfield, aged about 20 years, wife of the above named Henry Butterfield, Amelia Stevenson, aged 25 years, wife of James Stevenson Cooper aged 61 years; and Sarrah, wife of John Stevenson, aged 58 years; and on the 6th of same month I baptized Elisabeth Collinson, a washer woman aged 55 years.

      On the 10th I baptized Susannah Mason, or often called Susannah Sinkins, wife of Mr. Mason, tailor, aged about 26 years. On the 24th I baptized John McDonald, chimney sweeper, aged near 20 years. On December 2nd I baptized Mary Stones, a servant girl from Armthorpe, aged about 21 years. On the 11th I baptized James Stevenson Cooper, aged near 24 years. On the 25 of January 1846, I baptized George Ardron, a young man aged 19 years, who was prentice to one Mr. Tuke to learn the plumbing and glaziering business. February 1, I baptized Henry Stephenson A. Cooper, aged 17, on April 12th, Sister Elisabeth Smith, wife of Brother George Smith, who at that time were living at Armthorpe. On May 7th, I baptized Hannah Holmes, wife of Matthew Holmes. One June 2nd, I baptized Ann Cottom, aged 14 years.
      On or near the 21st of June I left Doncaster to accompany Patriarch John Albiston and be scribe for him through Clitheroe Conference. I overtook him at Bury in Namchester Conference where he gave a number of blessings. We then proceeded to Clitheroe. I walked the distance - about 21 miles.
      From there we went to Waddington; from there to Chatburn; from there to Barley; from there to Burnley; from there to Accrington; from there to Blackburn. Then went back again to Bury and gave some more blessings there. We then went to Ashton Under Lyne where Father Albiston's home was and he determined to stop there awhile. So, I left him. On or near the 15th of August, same year, he gave a goodly number of blessings which I wrote as he pronounced them, and I furnished each man and woman with a copy of his or her blessing and most of the blessings that were given through the conference I registered in a register book which book we left in the conference when we left.
      I reached Sheffield on August 15, 1840, where I stopped a few days and received a blessing under the hands of Elder Semion Carter from Nauvoo, which caused me greatly to rejoice. I then went to Chesterfield; to see Brother Rodger and went with him the same day to Daly Cross where I preached; then returned to Chesterfield; stopped there a day, then returned to Sheffield and from there to Doncaster where I arrived on the 22nd. On the 6th of September I baptized James Ashton from Royston near Pontefract; by trade he was a pot hawker and was near 64 years old. On January 12, 1847, I baptized Elisa Davison, wife of Thomas Davison, tailor.

      I was also rebaptized about the 3rd of this month by Elder Lucius Nelson Scovil by whom I was confirmed and greatly blessed. On the 29th of March, I was ordained to officiate in the office of an elder under the hands of Elders L.N. Scovil and Gland Rodger. Soon after this I went over to Mattersea where I met with Elders Gland Rodger and William Brewerton. We all went to mission and at that time I was requested to preach in the open air and as I had never opened my mouth to speak of the gospel in the open air before, I felt that I was weak, but I knew to a certain extent the great responsibility which rested upon me in having to warn the sons of men with the sound of the everlasting gospel. So I was determined to do the best I could, but, not withstanding my frame, did tremble when I set my foot upon the chair and lifted up my head amongst more than a hundred spectators. I felt that if the earth would open and swallow me up it would be a source of deliverance, but I opened my mouth and spoke of the first principles of the gospel and bore testimony of the great work of God and I felt blessed.
      On the 4th of May, I baptized Thomas Holland, a chimney sweeper, aged 23, and on June 1st I baptized George Yeardley, a fish monger who was before baptized, but had been cut off. Also on the same day I baptized Henry Butterfield, chimney sweeper, aged 24 years whom I had baptized before, but who had been cut off; also same day those request of L.N. Scovil, I rebaptized several of the saints in Doncaster among whom were Edward Howard, George Myers, John Bradley, George Ardron, Mary Taylor and Amelia Stevenson, and on the ________day of _________ I baptized Mary Ann Davison, daughter of Thomas Davison, tailor; also soon after this I and Edwin Senior (through the direction of conference) ordained Thomas Davison to act as priest in the Church of Jesus Christ and I and Elder Senior and William Brewerton ordained George Yeardley a priest who used to go with me to preach at Marmsworth.
      About this time William Brewerton was sent by Crandall Dunn to labor in and round about Doncaster, so I accompanied him as much as possible and we went once a week to Skellow which is about 6 miles off; also we went to Bentley once a week and held a meeting at home on Wednesday nights but when we had done this awhile we appointed that we and other officers should preach more extensively on Sunday; we divided ourselves into 3 companies. I and one of the priests on Sunday went to Wadsworth, from there to Edlington; from there to Warmsworth, preaching at each place and then returned home. Then next Sunday we went to Hampole; from there to Skellow; from there to Adwic-le-Street and then returned home. Then next Sunday we stopped at home and preached there and the other companies followed us and did as we did. Thus we did while it began to be too cold to preach out of doors and there were only 2 baptized, and they lived in Skellow.
      On November 21, I baptized Thomas Lindley, a chimney sweeper, aged 17 years. Soon after this, I began more particularly to prepare for going to the land of Zion. I went over to Mattersea to bid the saints there adieu until I had seen the land of Zion and preached to them and felt a great portion of God's spirit while I spoke. Then I went over to Sheffield Conference which was held December 20, 1847. I saw Elder Crandall Dunn. He told me we might go to America, but he would like me to stay a short time in England, but he said as my father was advanced in years, I was to see how his mind was about it. I came home and told my parents, and they were much grieved at what I told them. I wrote E.C. Dunn, and he told me to go with them, so we settled all our affairs in righteousness, and on the 17th of January, 1848, sold off our household furniture, beds, etc., and gave up our house. On Wednesday the 19th of the same month and year, we left the town of my nativity, not knowing that any of us would ever see it again while time should last.

      We arrived in Sheffield same day and were welcomely received by my Uncle William Straw. On the 26th, I went out to Chesterfield with Elder Crandall Dunn where we met Elder Gland Rodger who was presiding there. Brother Dunn preached at night and then told me to stop a short while there until nearer the time of sailing to America. On the night of the 30th, I preached there. On February 1, 1848, I walked with Brother Rodger 2 or 3 miles on his journeys, and then bade him farewell. I then went back and took dinner with Brother John Maiden. Then I walked 3 or 4 miles with Brother William Brewerton on his journey, and then bade him farewell and then returned. On the 2nd I preached, and on the 3rd returned to Sheffield.
      During my stay in Chestrfield, I was well entertained by the saints among whom were, Father Dutton Marsden, Sisters Crooks, Ruth Longsdale and many whose names I don't know. I stopped in Sheffield at my uncle's along with my father and mother, and we lived at his expense, but he would take nothing of us.
      On Monday the 14th, I left Sheffield, and my uncle accompanied me to Liverpool where we arrived about 1 o'clock p.m. When we got out of the railway carriages, there were a many cabs by any of which we might be conveyed to any part of town, so one of the cab men came to us and asked us if we wanted to ride. We told him we did, but before we got in his cab we agreed that he should take us and our 2 small boxes to Mr. Elliot's No 114 opposite the Dock (a distance of 2 miles) for 1/6. He took us and at this house we stopped. Next day my father and mother came, and we all lodged here. We paid 6d each for each night's lodgings. We stayed here and bought such victuals as we thought fit. On the 19th we went on board the "Carnatic", a merchants sailing vessel commanded by Captain McKenzie, and my uncle returned to Sheffield. On the 20th, we were towed out of Canning Dock into River Mersey where we were until 22nd when the steam tug came and towed us about 10 miles.
      The wind was pretty strong, and the greater part of our company was sick, among whom were my father, mother and myself, but still I felt to rejoice in the great work of God. On the 23rd, 24th and 25th the wind continued strong, and at our head during the day of 26th it was a little more favorable, but in the night very strong head wind arose, so when I arose on the 27th and went on deck (where I could not stand, but had to hold myself up by the bulwarks) I saw we were surrounded by mountains of water. I could not see apparently more than 30 or 40 yards from the ship; also our yard arms were nearly tipping, and thus we seemed as if we were going to be buried in the depths of the sea, yet all seemed to be far from fear, because our confidence was in God. The wind continued to blow without intermission (except 1 hour on the 29th) on 27, 28, 29. On this evening we had a prayer meeting and unanimously agreed to ask God to bless us with favorable winds. So, according to His mercy, on March 1 (on this days night I dreamed a dream which I'll insert on the opposite page) the wind was better, and we were traveling about 7 ½ miles an hour. On this day we entered the Bay of Biscay. While passing through this bay, I thought of my brother, Isaac, who while passing through this bay on his way to Calcutta to join the English arm, wished himself back to the town wherein he was born that he might join his old comrades. But my feelings were different. I was glad that the Lord had led me out of the land of my nativity and was leading me on to a land which has been and is blessed by Him as a choice land above all other lands for the gathering together of His people.

      Also this day my mother was very ill. She was almost helpless. The 3rd the air was cold and strong, but favorable. The sun shone warm upon us and made it very pleasant. My mother was much better. In the afternoon the wind ceased and we were in an Irish hurricane (calm) and truly it was beautiful sitting on the bulwarks and viewing the mighty and restless Atlantic whose waters are blue and indigo and also looking at the sun setting in the far west to which place we were bounding.
      A Dream
      On the night of the first of March, I dreamed the following dream. I thought I was calling through Church Lane in Doncaster, Yorkshire, England, for a boy named Frederic Tyas, and when I had got through the Lane into the churchyard, I thought there was going to be buried one of the policeman. As I went on I saw a hearse where the mourners were in. It was not drawn by horses as is customary there, but it was carried by hand, and while I looked at the scene, I enquired which of the policemen was dead. Someone told me it was William Green, and after I had looked on awhile, it came to my mind that I once had dreamed of such a funeral. I then told one whom I knew that stood by that the funeral was just as I had dreamed. I also remembered that in the dream which I thought I had, I had to encounter with enemy before I got out. As I expected, so it was, for a formidable enemy beset me just as I thought I had dreamed, but how I overcame this enemy I don't remember. However, I awoke and much troubled about the dream. Soon after I fell asleep again and dreamed I was in the same town, Doncaster, and appeared to Sister Fanny Yeardley and told her the dream I had had, and when I had told her, I said that it was not my body, but my spirit that had told her. I also told her or someone else to write the dream and I would also. I then thought I looked very stern at Sister Carnatic. There I immediately awoke and behold,it was a dream.

      On this, the 3rd, the wind entirely died away, but before the close of the day a pretty strong head wind arose and we were tossed about all night. The morning of the 4th put in and we lifted our hearts again to heaven that the adverse winds might cease, but it appeared to no purpose. We continued being rolled about until afternoon when our eyes were attracted by an object sailing on the water. Our captain looked and pronounced her to be a ship in distress. We found her to be a Dutch manned vessel, King William 2nd, freighted with coffee and sugar. Their distress happened on the 27th at which time they said they saw several other ships wrecked. It appeared that she had lost her main mast, foremast, mission mast and her bulwarks. They had thrown overboard between 300 and 400 barrels of coffee. We let them have sail and then left them. She was from Batavia and was bound for Amsterdam.
      The 4th through the 29th all passed away with calms, storms head winds and favorable winds. We had preaching two or three times a week, and we were much edified by Elders F.D. Richards,, C.H. Whellock, A. Cahoon and S.W. Richards. My mother had a deal of sickness. The captain was very kind to us. He did everything he could to make us happy and comfortable.

      In the night of the 30th at quarter past 9 o'clock an old gentleman from Scotland named James Young died, and about quarter before 7 next morning we buried him in the great Atlantic, Longitude 61,24; Latitude 18,54. The morning of the 31st, my mother was very sick. Her head was filled with sores. We cut off all her hair and applied poultices of oatmeal. She suffered much. The 1st of April put in toward 12 at night. Lighthouses were seen, and on the 2nd at 8 o'clock we were sailing between Antigua and Guadelope, both of which were in sight. The appearance of land made our hearts glad and return thanks to God for His fatherly care and protection. In the afternoon we saw Mount Serrat. On the 6th we saw the west point to St. Domingo. One the 7th we saw Jamaica whose mountains seemed to reach the sky. We were sailing between it and Cuba. The 8th was very hot and calm with a heavy shower about half past three in the afternoon. The 9th was very still, hot and calm. About 6 o'clock p.m. a small boat came and brought us shells, turtles and pumpkins. The 13th we entered the Gulf of Mexico, and on the 17th we saw the land of America. The pilot came and took command of our ship. The steamer towed us to the mouth of the Mississippi and then left us. The next morning it came and we began to pull up the river. The sceneries on each side of the river were very beautiful. We arrived in New Orleans on the 19th at half past 6 o'clock p.m. The captain told us we might let our goods stop on board the ship and we might sleep in our berths until we could get a steamer to come and take us to St. Louis.
      On the 21st we went on board the steamer Mameluke and took a farewell of our kind and worthy friend, Captain William McKenzie. On the 22nd we started for St. Louis where we arrived with all safety. On the 30th we met with Brothers Thomas Brown and wife and family, William Clemence and family, and Thomas Wrigley and family who all came from Doncaster. They were living in St. Louis and were well. They received us gladly and we stayed there until the 9th of May when we started on board the Mustang for Winter Quarters where we arrived after striking several snags and sand bars with safety on the 20th of May 1848.
      We found the brethren in great business; some preparing to go to the Great Salt Lake City and some to cross the river and work in Pottawatamie County for means to go west. We stayed a week in Winter Quarters and then crossed the Missouri River to Ferryville where I commenced farming. We stayed in Ferryville during summer. I and Scovil raised a crop and shared it in the fall. I then bought a claim of Brother John Wood, built a house on it and then we left Scovil and moved into it. (about a tenth of the corn I raised I gave to Bishop or the acting Bishop Blanchard on tithing.) There was some bad feelings between Brother Scovil and Elisa, my mother. She had been falling out with him and using very abusive language to him.
      During the fall of 1848 and spring of 1849 I taught school for which I was to have $10 per month and my board. Each man who assigned his name to the agreement was to pay according to the number of scholars he assigned, but some of them never sent any to school. Consequently, when the 5 months of teaching were ended, those who did not send did not want to pay; however, some of them made some acknowledgment and some did not, among whom was Joshua Holding. In the whole, for 5 months I received about $30. During this winter Elisa acted very ugly with my father endeavoring to either have him give her a bill of divorce or turn her out of the house. My father at last consented to let her have a divorce. It was granted by the Bishop. She soon married Stephen Nixon with whom she had become good friends.
      About the month of March, I and my father thought it would be best to leave Ferryville and come down to Kanesville. During this summer I and my father raised as good a crop as we could. We did not raise much for I was sickly most of the time, and we had a considerable drought; however, in the fall we paid 7 bushels of corn and 2 bushels of potatoes and I went down to work in Missouri. I got home in December and paid $2 in cash to the bishop. The 7 bushels of corn and 2 bushels of potatoes, $2, and about 6 or 7 pounds of pork was what we paid to Bishop Bigley in 1850.

      About December 11th I began to teach school in Union Branch Schoolhouse of Kanesville Northern District. About January 11 or 12, 1851, I paid to Bishop D.M. Burbanks $1.04. On or near the 13th of March, I paid to same bishop $300; on 25th of same month went with same Bishop to 50 miles grove and returned on 12th of April having worked 16 days, tithing at one dollar per day would make $16. I and my father now moved to John Nichols' place in Kanesville. We commenced to plow with all earnestness the 10 acres we had rented of him. We had most finished when on the 24th of April 1851, our house caught fire by some accident which we could not account for and burnt everything with a very small exception. Our bed, bedding, clothing except few pants, coat, knives, forks, spoons, flour, corn, bacon, potatoes, tools, etc., all got consumed in the awful flames.
      I now gathered in what was owing me, and on the 18th day of May I got married to Miss Elizabeth Brewerton, daughter of George and Ann Brewerton of Harwell, Nottinghamshire, England. She was born on March 13, 1828, at Harworth, Nottingshamshire, England. She resided with her parents, received her education in Doncaster, was baptized by Elder Gland Rodger into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on November 17, 1844, and received a patriarchal blessing by Patriarch John Albiston at Harwell on July 2, 1845, which is as follows:

      My beloved sister, I lay my hands upon thy head in the name of Jesus Christ and by authority of the Holy Priesthood pronounce upon thy head the blessings of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Inasmuch as thou hast given thy heart unto God and honored Him and His son by having been buried with him in baptism, thou art a child of God and in the everlasting covenant with faithful Abraham, and by adoption, has joined the family and kingdom of God and art entitled unto all the blessings of that kingdom as a joint heiress with Jesus Christ who is become thy Elder Brother. The promises are all on thy side. They are peace and assurance unto thee forever. A principle of new life is given unto thee which shall grow up in thy soul as a well of water springing up to eternal life. Thou shalt inherit all the promises and also receive a diadem of glory, a crown of eternal life, and wear it as thy due. Thou art given thyself to be more than ever the servant of the Lord. Thou shalt become a plant of renown, walking in righteousness before the Lord: also, art renewing thy love unto the truth and the beauties of truth shall delight thy soul. Thy heart's desire shall be granted unto thee in righteousness. Thy way shall be opened unto the land of Zion; thou shalt behold as a witness for the Lord signs and wonders performed in His name; be blessed with heavenly visions and the ministry of angels attend thee and shalt have thy blessed inheritance among the faithful saints in lands of corn and wine and oil and flocks and herds be added unto thee the fruit of thy vine and olive yards become a true worshiper in the Temple of the Lord and witness the 2nd advent of Messiah. Thou shalt join the church of the first born and sit down with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the Kingdom of God and live in the reign of righteousness with thy blessed Redeemer and in the great millennium. Thou art of the faithful seed of Abraham and I seal these blessings upon thy head in the name of Jesus Christ, even so Amen and Amen.

      After this she continued in the church, and on the 8th day of January 1851, she left England and all her relations and started on board the ship "Ellen" for the land of Zion. She arrived in Kanesville on May 4. I saw her the same day, and the 18th of the same month we were married by Elder James W. Cummings.

      On the 10th I moved into D.M. Burbanks' house in McOlneys Branch, 2 miles north of Kanesville and rented his house and field. On the 27th of June we had a fast day. On the 28th I took 15 1/2 pounds of flour to Bishop Nichols, a free will offering. On the 28th of July the brethren chose me to act as teacher to which I consented. On 8th of August I paid 2 bushels of corn on tithing to Bishop Nichols. On the 11th of September I went with the bishop and hauled hay on tithing. On the 20th received a letter from Mother Brewerton - also a newspaper on the 27th. On the 28th laid hands on several sick folk and blessed them. On the 17th of October, Elizabeth had a miscarriage. One 22nd paid one load pumpkins to Bishop Nichols on tithing. On the 30th paid 50 cents cash to Bishop Nichols on tithing.
      About this time the word of the Lord came unto us, the saints who dwelt in Pottawatamie, Iowa, saying "Come home. Yea come home if you can by any possible righteous means." I had not much property, but I was determined to do my best to gather with the saints of God in the valleys of the mountains, even to the State of Deseret or Utah. I went to Brother Turpin Wheelwright and agreed to work for him forty days for wood work or running gears of a wagon.
      On January 11, 1852 we received a letter from Mother Brewerton, and on February 2 received one from Brother William Brewerton. On February 4, I paid 12 bushels of corn to Bishop Nichols on tithing. On March 15 I went down to Holt County, Missouri and got work at Mr. Hogin's. We did him some ditching. I then returned home. I had been away 5 weeks and earned something over $30. On April 22 paid $3 tithing. After this I continued to prepare for emigrating to Deseret. I had one yoke of oxen and one cow. Brother George B. Hicks promised me the use of a cow trough. I got my wagon finished, then obtained what necessaries I possibly could. The brethren thought as we were a small family, we might take Sister Mary Moore and her little boy, William. My family consisted of myself, my wife and my father, so with Mary Moore and boy, we were 5 to the wagon. We got all ready, and on Thursday, June 10, we left and started for Great Salt Lake City.
      We moved but 1 or 2 miles and camped till the 12th when we moved to the big spring about 10 miles from Kanesville. We crossed the Missouri River on the 26th. The remainder of our company crossed on the 27th . After we were all across and camped, Ezra T. Benson came among us and said he wanted five men of our company to stay at Missouri with others who had been chosen from other companies to act as a guard to protect in case they needed protection, and also to help to ferry the rest of the saints across the river until all were over that intended to cross the plains this season. I was one of the 5 chosen. We were then told to see our families across the Elk Horn, and then return to the guard. The next day we moved about 11 miles. We had plenty of grass for our cattle and good water, but no timber. On the 29th we moved to Elk Horn and camped on its banks; plenty of wood, water and grass. In the evening we washed ourselves in the river. Likely Samuel Robinson would have been drowned, but through the help of providence I swam with my clothes on and got him out safe. On the 30th we crossed this river at the ferry, and on the 1st of July our families moved west and we (the 5) returned to the Missouri River where we stayed and did our best until the brethren were all over.
      On the 12th of July we left Missouri River and traveled about 10 miles. Next morning, the cholera made its appearance among us. Henry Oakes was taken on the morning and buried in the evening. We crossed the Horn. Thomas Ashley was buried and also several of the last company. We stayed at our camp. I threw a cast in the river and caught a cat fish about 40 pounds weight. On the 16th, after seeing the brethren over this river, we started for our families who were still pushing on to the Great Salt Lake City. We passed considerable graves. The most of our company was afflicted with diarrhea. On Friday, the 23rd, I overtook my family about 300 miles from Winter Quarters. I found them all well and had been since I left them.

      After traveling a few miles, we killed a buffalo. We rested on Sunday and on Monday recommenced our journey. On the 28th I baptized Sister Barbara Heep for restoration of her health. She was much better. 29th we traveled over several sandy bluffs and camped by Piccaninia Creek. 30th at noon we baited at Rattle Snake Creek and camped at night 6 Feet Creek. 31st we moved between Watch Creek and Lone Tree. 1st of August we moved a few miles to Ash Hollow and camped. 2nd we crossed Castle Creek and camped about 2 miles west of it. 3rd we traveled past Castle Bluffs which have the appearance of large ruinous buildings. At night we camped at Sandy Bluffs, 121 3/4 miles from Fort Laramie. 4th we crossed Crab Creek, cobbles hills and camped at Ancient Bluffs ruins which have the appearance of ruinous castles, forts, etc. 6th we had some very heavy sand to draw through. We traveled about 12 miles and camped. 7th we had pretty good road and camped at Chimney Rock. 8th we saw an Indian wigwam past Scott's Bluff and camped at Spring Creek. We stayed here to recruit our stock and repair our wagons until the 12th. This day we traveled about 15 miles, saw many Indians and gave them bread. 13th moved to Dry Creek. 14th traveled to Fort Laramie. 15th crossed the Platte and camped about 4 miles from the fort. 16th descended a very steep hill and crossed a very rough, rocky bluff, dangerous on wagons. At night camped at Bitter Cottonwood Creek. 17th, feed now being very scarce for our stock, we thought it advisable to divide into tens and travel so till we came to Deer Creek, then stay, do our repairs, recruit our stock, and then move on our journey as it might seem best. Captain John Myers, being captain of the ten I was in, moved on the journey. We followed and left Captain Walker at Bitter Cottonwood Creek. We passed over some rough, hilly roads.
      We came to a beautiful spring. The grass was green all about it, so here we camped all night. 18th we left the spring. About 3 miles from it we crossed a creek, pretty good place to camp about 10 miles further. We came to the Platte. We stayed until noon, then traveled 4 or 5 miles near the river. At this point, we left the river again, ascended a very steep bluff and also descended some. We traveled 5 or 6 miles and camped by a small stream of water. 19th traveled 14 or 16 miles and met a moderate chance to camp. 20th we crossed some steep bluffs; also some 4 or 5 miles of red rock. The first water we came to was about 17 miles. We crossed this and went to LaPrele where we found a good place to camp. 21st killed three buffalo, took what meat we could, crossed a small creek; also Box Elder Creek and came to Farce Boise, a good place to camp here. We gathered the wood, made fires and jerked our meat. 22nd good road, moved to Deer Creek. 23rd moved 1 ½ miles on Platte, good place to camp. We stayed here till the whole of our company came up. We did our repairs. I caught several fish while we stayed here. We agreed that it was best to travel by tens the remainder of our journey.
      We stayed here until 27th . This day our ten moved about 13 miles. 28th we killed 3 antelope, caught more fish. 29th moved within 4 miles of Upper Platte Fort. 30th we crossed the fort, traveled about 12 miles over a very rough, bad, bluffy road and camped at the last camping ground on the River Platte. 31st no water fit to drink, being poisonous, for 15 miles. We passed Willow Spring and camped about 4 from it. 1st of September we passed the saleratus springs and lakes. It is wonderful to see the lakes covered with saleratus. It is firm, capable to bear any weight and looks exactly like ice, but it is deadly poison.

      We came to Sweet Water and camped. Several of our company's cattle, having got to the saleratus water, died almost instantaneously. 2nd forded Sweet Water, came to Devil's Gate. This Gate is a narrow pass for the river Sweet Water to pass through. The rock on each side stands perpendicularly about 400 feet high. We went about 2 miles beyond it and camped. 3rd traveled 11 or 12 miles through some 1 or 2 miles of very heavy sand. We camped, and as at Devil's Gate, found good feed in the ravines of the mountains. 4th burned pine, made tar, let the cattle rest and killed a buffalo. 5th moved about 9 miles, were drenched with a heavy shower of rain, camped at foot of gravel bluff. 6th crossed the crossings of Sweet Water and went to the fourth ford of Sweet Water. Very poor chance for cattle, grass being mostly eaten out. 7th moved 17 miles to fifth ford; cattle most worn out, poor chance for them here. 8th went about 10 miles, drove our cattle up the creek. They fared moderate. 9th we traveled about 13 ½ miles over some rough, rocky ridges and camped on a branch of Sweet Water; feed bad. 10th we drove to the upper ford of Sweet Water, found good feed about 2 miles northwest of the fold. 11th we remained at our camp. 12th good road, passed south pass of Pacific Springs and camped at Pacific Creek. 14th left Pacific Creek, had a good road, traveled about 25 miles and camped on the banks of Little Sandy; moderate feed considering we were on a sandy desert.
      15th traveled 7 miles and camped on Big Sandy, about 7 miles. 16th very cold and rainy, traveled about 17 miles to Big Sandy; again 17th traveled to Green River, 10 miles and camped on Big Sandy, 2 miles from Green River Ford. It was very cold with showers of rain and hail. 18th remained at our camp. Cold with rain and hail, caught several fish. Brother Mitchell from valley came with team and took Sister Mary Moore and boy forward to the valley.
      19th forded Green River, traveled about 19 ½ miles; good feed on bunch grass, but very cold during night. 20th traveled about 21 miles to Black's Fork, third time we had moderate feed. 21st moved 8 ½ miles to stream. 22nd passed Fort Bridger and camped about 1 ½ miles east of Muddy Fork. 23rd very cold, rain. We camped at Copperas or Soda Springs. In the night the snow fell some 1 or 2 inches thick. 24th we traveled to Sulphur Creek and camped. We found moderate feed. 25th we moved to Yellow Creek, crossed the creek at the foot of Rocky Bluff, bad to cross. This bluff has a singular appearance forming a number of pyramids. 26th this morning Samuel Sherman was found dead in bed. We buried him on the east side of Yellow Creek. We then moved to a deep ravine 16 miles from Red Fork of Weber River. 27th we traveled down Echo Creek and camped in Echo Canyon, a few miles from Weber. It was very bad road. 28th moved down to Red Fork of Weber and camped. 29th we traveled over long hill and camped near Kanyon Creek. 30th we went up Kanyon Creek, crossed it a number of times, bad to cross and camped about 1 mile up the mountain. We found good feed. 31st crossed the big mountain. It was very cold and rainy. We camped by Brown's Creek. Some snow fell during night. October 1st it continued to snow. We drove on to little mountain, had to put from 7 to 9 yoke of cattle to each wagon before we could cross. We got over and camped about 1 mile from the foot. Saturday, October 2nd 1852, we entered Great Salt Lake City.
      We found the saints busy, great improvements had been made and a many more being made. It was some time before I could meet with an empty room to rent. I moved our wagon to Brother Thomas Wrigley's house and commenced ditching.
      On Wednesday the 27th of October 1852 at about quarter before 12 at night my wife was delivered, in the wagon, of a boy whom we named Henry Brewerton Emery. The moon's age was 14 days, 3 hours 7 41 minutes, being 6 hours and 27 minutes past full.
      I then went and rented a house of Mr. Isaac Hunter, in which we lived till spring of 1853. During this winter a great quantity of snow fell which caused labor to be very scarce, and not having much property to dispose of, we did not enjoy all the luxuries of life. However, we never sat down to eat without potatoes and salt or else something else, and we were content, knowing we were gathered with the people of God for the purpose of serving Him, which we hope to do with all our heart from this time hence forth and forever.
      In the spring I bought a house and ½ lot of Dennis Winn for $108, situated in the 16th Ward, Great Salt Lake City.

      On the 19th of June, 1853 I was ordained a Seventy and confirmed a member of the 36th Quorum under the hands of President Thomas Wrigley. At the October Conference I was nominated to go on a mission among the Lamanites; during winter I did my best to learn the Utah language, and in spring following we who had been nominated to go on this mission were called together by Parley P. Pratt. He told us what was necessary for us to take with us, and if any of us thought that our circumstances were of such a nature as to justify us in not going, we had better see President Brigham Young. Accordingly, I went to the President and told him how I was circumstanced. He told me I had better go home and take care of my family. On the 30th of October 1853 I was rebaptised by Elder Joseph Fielding and confirmed a member of the church at the edge of the water.
      On March 1, 1854 Elisabeth delivered a girl named Elisabeth Ann at 6 o'clock in the morning. Moon's age 2 days, 8 hours and 37 minutes.
      On the 29th of March I rebaptised my wife and Brother Wilson Lund and myself confirmed her a member of the church. On March 31, 1854 Elisabeth and I received an endowment in the Council House under the hands of Brothers J.W. Cummings, Dr. Sprigg, P.P. Pratt, Jed M. Grant and others which caused our hearts to rejoice and glorify God, our Eternal Father, for the abundance of His tender mercies and never ending compassion to the children of men. On the 30th of July I and Elisabeth were sealed together for time and all eternity by President Brigham Young. O, may God enable us to keep ourselves in righteousness and purity forever and ever, Amen.
      Thursday, June 21, 1855 8 o'clock in the morning, Elisabeth delivered a boy whom we called George Rhodes Emery. Moon's age 6 days 23 hours. July went to North Willow Creek harvesting and adobe making; returned in September; was taken sick in October and did not do but little till after Christmas. Elisabeth's mother came in from England this fall.
      1856, about April conference our provisions began to give out and we subsisted on roots, pig weed, fish and what we could get. Went to Ogden Hole and Willow Creek harvesting again, returned in September. Brother Brigham Young began to show the necessity of the saints reforming and not pretend, but in reality live our religion. A number of missionaries were appointed through the territory to preach repentance to the saints, or in other words to arouse them to a sense of their duty in regard to their own interests and the interest of the Kingdom of God, for we are fast asleep having the drowsiness of Hell upon us. But, thanks be to God for such men as Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Jedediah M. Grant, for I know them to be faithful and holy men of God, and others who were faithful in bringing us to see our situation and leading us in the way of everlasting life.
      Brother Grand labored more than his body was able to bear which brought on sickness of which he died, being beloved both by God and all his brethren. I humbled myself before God and confessed my sins and made retribution as far as in me lay. I obtained forgiveness, and on the 7th day of March 1857, my wife and I and my father were rebaptised by J.T.D. McAllister. On June 27 I was appointed sargent to Captain John Cottam of the 5th 10 of Captain E.B. Tripp's 50, Nauvoo Legion. Half past 6 o'clock Sunday morning, July 12, 1857, Elisabeth had a boy whom we called John Alma Emery. He was blessed at the 16th Ward schoolhouse August 6, 1857 by Elders E.B. Tripp, Riser, and Alexander Gilespie.
      September 16 while getting wood in Coon's Canyon, my axe caught a bough over my head which threw the axe severely in my foot making an awful gash, separating the main girder of the big toe and entering largely in the bone. I was 4 weeks before I could set my foot down to the floor and it remained feeble most all winter.

      During this fall the army which James Buchanan President of U.S. sent on a crusade against the Mormons came into the borders of our territory. The brethren rose up in mass to oppose them or rather to defend themselves, their wives and children, their homes and the right to worship God according to the dictates of their own consciences. They were successful in keeping the army at bay during winter. In spring, the army began to make preparation for coming into our settlements. I, having now got my foot tolerably well, started with my brethren on March 31, 1852 for Echo Canyon to help to defend ourselves against our common enemy. We marched to Sharp's Station. April 1st we marched over the big mountain. The snow was 3 or 4 feet deep on the east side of the mountain. We camped at Cottonwood Grove in Canyon Creek. During the night the wind rose to a strong gale, and the heavens gathered blackness. Some little rain fell. In the morning, April 2nd, it commenced snowing freely, but kept warm. We arrived at Echo Station about 5 p.m., all well. Captain Elnathen Eldredge, a king and first rate officer, led us out and delivered us into the hands of Colonel Colister. We stayed here, attended to our camp duties and enjoyed good health and spirits. I stood guard on the 6th of April from 3 to 6 o'clock a.m. and from 6 to 9 a.m. on the 13th. On Monday, 19th we got orders to march to Great Salt Lake City. We started about 1 o'clock p.m. under command of Major Burgess. We arrived in Cottonwood Grove, east Canyon about 8 p.m. and supped on bacon and beef. 20th we arose and breakfasted on beef and bacon, drinking bacon grease for coffee. We arrived at Killion's at the west foot of little mountain about 1 p.m. where Major Burgess handed us each 2 crackers. Brother Killion gave us some potatoes which we boiled, fried some beef and bacon, made a good meal and started. We arrived in Great Salt Lake City a little before sundown, very tired and sore, having carried our guns ammunition, bedding cooking utensils, etc.
      When I got home I found the saints had unanimously agreed to move south in order to oppose their enemies. My family had all gone to American Fork. I was given leave of absence, so I started for American Fork. I found my family all well. I cleared a small piece of ground and put in a small garden. On the 29th I returned to Great Salt Lake City about 2 p.m.
      I was appointed to stay in Great Salt Lake City and assist as one of the guard. We mustered morning and evening to roll call and guard the city at night in our turns. May 12th I was selected to go to the mouth of Emigration Canyon to guard the next day. We were called home again the 15th; called out to train and inspection of arms. Friday, June 15th at dusk of night, I with some others were taken up City Creek Canyon to guard. Next day, 26th we stayed here and the U.S. troops passed through the city peaceable and camped on the west side of the Jordan. On the 12th I had attended a conference held in this city between the U.S. commissioners sent by James Buchanan and the people, to make treaties of peace. James Buchanan offered free pardon to all who would now turn and be loyal citizens. We could not turn by be loyal citizens, for we had always been loyal, but we agreed to continue loyal if they would cease their hellish persecution. James Buchanan had done all he thought himself able in order to destroy the Kingdom of God from the earth, but fearing he could not make anything at it, he concluded to let us alone and so peace was proclaimed. I remained in the city and did according to orders; had several furloughs.
      July 21st got leave to fetch my family home. Tuesday, 6th at 2 p.m. started with my family; hired Joseph and Samuel Robinson to bring us. On the 7th at 1 o'clock arrived at home in Great Salt Lake City all safe and sound -- thank God.

      Soon after this, our peaceful city was greatly changed. Instead of peace, industry and honesty unanimously prevailing, the officers and army followers were continually brawling, quarreling, fighting, drinking, ******* (where they could, but the women generally were virtuous), gambling, thieving, murdering, and profaning the name of deity. These things were done by the very men that James Buchanan sent to teach the Mormons morals. These disturbances called for extra police and ward guards. I stood guard in the 16th Ward a good few nights in the winter of 1858 and 1859.
      December 4, 1858 and about half past two in the morning (Saturday) my wife gave birth to a boy whom we called Isaac Archer Emery. He was blessed by Bothers Kesley, Riser and Derr on December 6, 1860.
      January 29, 1859 Ann Brewerton, my wife's mother died at our house in the 64th year of her age. She commenced being worse than common on Friday. She ate very little and kept getting weaker and weaker. I wrote to her son, William on the 23rd. He did not receive the letter. I wrote again on Thursday, 27th. Mother Brewerton now ate nothing worth naming. She drank freely of Tartaric acid and carbonate of soda. This drink she seemed to like very much. About 2 o'clock a.m. on the 29th she appeared to be struck with death. During the morning, Elisabeth asked her if she thought she would get better. She said she thought she should, but still she was failing fast. Sister Hamer was with us this day. About 4 o'clock p.m., as Sister Hamer was standing at the foot of the bed with Isaac Archer in her arms, Mother Brewerton opened her eyes and she saw little Isaac A. and she blessed him with all the eagerness of her soul saying, "Bless Isaac Arch, O bless him, bless him, bless him and bless all the rest." Soon after this Sister Ure came in. Mother knew her and said she could like to eat something, but did not know what she could eat. We were going to sit down to supper. She said it seemed hard to see others eat and could not eat some herself. She desired to be turned over and made easy saying, "Make me easy, for I soon shall be easy." She seemed restless for some time. About 6 o'clock she wanted raising. We raised her to a sitting position and propped her with pillows. In this position she sat till about half past 6 when she breathed her last without a groan or struggle. Sisters Hamer and Lund washed her body and dressed her in her funeral clothes. David Eames made her coffin into which we put her remains. On tuesday, February 1 Brother James Attwicks and myself went and dug her grave in Brother James Ure's burying lot. We dug about 3 ½ feet and then a vault 1 ½ feet. I got Brother James Ure's team, and I and James Attwicks, Wilson Lund and James Ure took up her remains on and buried her in the grave we had dug. Thus ended the earthly career of Sister Ann Brewerton who had obeyed the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and kept the commandments of God according to the best of her knowledge.
      Saturday, February 6 I was taken sick and remained very feeble for 2 weeks. After this the weather was very unsettled except for frost and snow of which we had a plenty. March 10, ground still covered with some 10 or 12 inches with snow. 12th went to John Hague's on West Jordan; very severe frost during the night. The weather very cold and stormy so that at April conference the ground was still covered with snow and no gardening done in the upper lots of the city.
      About the 8th of April 1859, my little boy, George Rhodes, had his fingers severely trapped by his brother, Henry Brewerton, rocking on them with a little rocking chair. One nail of his finger was completely torn up by the roots; another was cut in two and the piece torn clean off. 27th of April, Fanny calved and little John Alma went into the pen. She hooked him and tore off his pinafore; he escaped unhurt; about same time he fell backwards into the fire, but escaped with slight burns on his neck and arm.

      On the 27th I was ordered by Captain E.B. Tripp to be ready with 5 days provisions to stand for the rights of Israel; at night we mustered, but were sent home with orders to come next evening, April 28. Evening arrived. We met and were led by E. Hanks into City Creek Canyon. Saturday the 30th it commenced to rain. It rained all night. Next day, May 1,Sunday, I was released from further duty and I went home. It continued to rain. Our lots had been so wet all spring that we could not plant anything, not even that which I had dug previous fall.
      During the summer I worked for W.C. Stains and B. Young and tended my own lots. Our house was very much shattered and in the fall I pulled it down and built one 30 feet by 14 feet outside which made two comfortable rooms.
      Monday March 12, 1860 about 10 a.m. my wife had a girl whom we called Fanny Jane Emery. She was blessed by Alex Gillespie and others. She was weakly from her birth and died March 27, 1860 about half past 2 o'clock in the morning being her 15th day on earth. We dug her grave and buried her on her Grandmother Ann Brewerton's grave and laid her on her grandmothers vault.
      On November 18, 1860 Henry Brewerton Emery was baptized in the River Jordan by Brother Peter Reid and was confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on the same day by Elders G.C. Riser and F. Kesler.
      January 17, 1859 Henry B. Emery was 45 inches high; November 12, 1861 he was 4 feet 4 inches high; Elizabeth Ann Emery was 4 feet 2 ½ inches high; George R. Emery was 47 ½ inches high.
      Thursday, February 21, 1861 at 11 o'clock p.m., my wife delivered a boy whom we called David Seaton Emery. Monday, May 5, 1862 she had a girl at 8 o'clock in the morning. We called her Mary. On the 10th of this month, my little boy Isaac Archer was lost. We hunted much for him, and he was found by a Danish brother in the sloughs in the 19th Ward pasture, most perished with cold.
      In the fall of 1861 I commenced to work for Walker Brothers merchants which I have worked for ever since, or at least up to this day February 15, 1866.
      My boy, Charles Frank Emery, was born January 5, 1864, and my daughter, Sarah Louise, was born Sunday October 1, 1865 about 10 p.m. I baptized my son, John Alma. Charles Frank Emery was blessed January 5, 1865.
      On the 10th of August 18675 my boy, Isaac Archer, broke his arm. Dr. Anderson set it for which I paid him $15.00. Soon after this, my oldest boy, Henry Brewerton, was taken sick with chills and fever. Just as he recovered, Isaac Archer took the same disease and was brought very low. The disease went through my children, 6 of them being very sick, but recovered. My son, John Alma, took the same disease about the 16th or 17th of December. He did not appear to be so bad as the other had been, but on Thursday, he complained of bellyache, and he continued to get worse. At night he was very bad, and I was convinced that unless the Almighty interfered, he would not live long. I sent a request to the Endowment House for him to be prayed for, hoping God would spare his life. I also went for the assistance of Dr. William H. Tate. On Friday night he seemed a little more easy, but on Saturday morning he was worse again. On Saturday night, he was very restless. He did not seem to have much pain, but was up and down or changed in position every little while. Toward morning he seemed more restless and somewhat delirious. He seemed to suffer the agonies of death more. My wife's heart was melted to see his struggles. She asked me to pray to God for him so that if he was appointed to die at this time, the Lord might take him or else be entreated to spare him with us. But if it was for the best that he should return to his Heavenly Father, the will of God be done. After this I laid my hands upon him with a similar prayer. He then laid in my arms a little while. I then laid his head down on the pillow, and in a few minutes his spirit departed in purity to God, his Maker.
      John Alma Emery was born on Sunday morning, July 12, 1857 at about 6 o'clock. On Tuesday, February 16, 1858, he had a kind of a fit. I and my father laid hands on him, and the fit left him. On the 27th of April, 1859, he went in the coral and the cow ran at him and tore his pinafore off him, but did him no harm. About the same time, he fell backwards in the fire and escaped with some slight burns. He commenced going to school when young and continued to go pretty regular. He could read McGuffies 3rd reader very distinctly. He knew the multiplication table, could cipher some; in short he was a good scholar. He seemed much pleased to hear me talk about his Heavenly Father and Jesus, his Savior, and he cultivated a disposition to serve him. I never knew him to tell me a lie nor to profane the name of God. He was about ____ and a healthy child generally. He was baptized for remission of sins by his father on September 7, 1865, and was confirmed a member of the church. He was taken sick about the 16th or 17th of December 1865, and died of Typhoid Congestive Fever December 31, 1865. We buried his remains in Brother John Hamer's lot in the city burying ground January 1, 1866. We know that his spirit has gone to the paradise of God to rest in peace and happiness until the morning of the first resurrection when he will come forth from the dead. He is a partaker of eternal life. O may God preserve us, his parents and brothers and sisters, that we may meet him with joy at the pleasing bar of God for Jesus sake, Amen.
      Sarah Louisa, our daughter, was blessed by G. C. Riser, September 6, 1866. Isaac Archer was baptized by G. C. Riser, October 4, 1866 and confirmed by Bishop F. Kesler and G. C. Riser same day.
      This year the River Jordan rose so high we were drowned out. We were obliged to leave our home. We rented a house of Brother E. B. Tripp's for which we paid him $20 per month. We were here two months; while here, my wife give birth on Thursday, the 13th of June, 1867 about 7 o'clock p.m. to a girl whom we called Frances Annie. S

  • Sources 
    1. [S32] Unknown, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.), Ancestry Family Tree.